Gibson Brands Forums

Is this gibson es 175 of 1967 original?

zeppe1983

81461998.jpg95142712.jpg

Hi, my name is Stefano and i have to buy this guitar gibson es 175 that was made in 1967 (serial. n 061615). I want know if the painting is original or no.

I have seen online other es 175 sunburst that was made in '60/'70 and i think that this color is more darker than usual.

Can you help me about?

All the best151xg.jpg

Stefano, I've seen alot of Gibsons in my time and this 175 definitely is NOT one of the nicest ones if you are talking from a cosmetic standpoint. Either this guitar is just an ugly one or is a refinished guitar. Either way I would pass on it and keep looking as there are quite a few late 60's 175's out there. Just my thoughts. jimbo

hi, so you think that this is not the original paint?

thanks

Stefano, I've seen alot of Gibsons in my time and this 175 definitely is NOT one of the nicest ones if you are talking from a cosmetic standpoint. Either this guitar is just an ugly one or is a refinished guitar. Either way I would pass on it and keep looking as there are quite a few late 60's 175's out there. Just my thoughts. jimbo

Stefano,

The finish might be original as I have seen a few through the years that are similiar but this is one UGLY guitar! WHY do you want to buy it? Just curious as to what the seller is asking for it moneywise? Are you in Italy by chance? jim

Hi and thanks a lot for your opinion....yes i'm from italy and this guitar cost 3000 Euro...but why you think that this guitar is ugly? all the best

Stefano,

The finish might be original as I have seen a few through the years that are similiar but this is one UGLY guitar! WHY do you want to buy it? Just curious as to what the seller is asking for it moneywise? Are you in Italy by chance? jim

Not a great looking burst. And looks like it was refinished. Still it might be a nice player.

There are lots of reasons to refinish, but since it generally lowers the "all original" value, I would be suspicious of a refinish to hide repaired damage. Check the dark areas of the finish for wood repairs - body cracks, neck cracks, headstock cracks etc.

Missing a TOM and one Pickup... anyone think this might be a 50s and not 60s?

Something just doesnt look right and I guess it is the burst.

All depends on the price tho... If it plays good and sounds good and the price is right then it might be worth considering.

I have an ES165 with flammed top and gold hardware.. far from pretty but I dont have any plans to get rid of it.. yet.

The seller is asking about $4300 in dollars for this guitar Stefano!? Look for another one! Why do I think this is one ugly guitar? Because IT IS one ugly ES-175......! jim p.s. the more I think about this guitar there IS something that is not right about it............

The sunburst on this guitar looks wrong for the period. Typically, the amount of wood showing is much greater. Of course we know that anything is possible with Gibson, but it does appear to be refinished. It would be critical to see this guitar first hand, and have someone along who can readily identify & reveal it's true story. Then you'll need to do some research on what would be a reasonable selling price. I agree that the sunburst is not very attractive, but the guitar's tone & playability need to be evaluated before any serious assessment can occur.

The fade on the 'burst is just wrong. Go on ebay or the Gibson website and look at some proper ones. The back on this one has three distinct intensity bands, which isn't right. On the front, the fade is irregular. Put a real Gibson 'burst next to it, and the difference will be obvious.

That rate of fade should be constant, and it isn't here. It looks like it was done by someone practicing. I've seen worse, but I don't think this could possibly be a factory job.

-50% in value for the re-finish.

sorry.. missed the 3000 Euros...

PASS.. a heart breaker but another WILL come along

(actually.. go on ebay and look for ES165.. it is a 1990s ES175 with a budget tail piece and no inlay on the headstock).

Mostly cosmetic but you will save 1000 Euros.

Missing a TOM and one Pickup... anyone think this might be a 50s and not 60s?

Something just doesnt look right and I guess it is the burst.

All depends on the price tho... If it plays good and sounds good and the price is right then it might be worth considering.

I have an ES165 with flammed top and gold hardware.. far from pretty but I dont have any plans to get rid of it.. yet.

Sam I agree with you, the ES165's are great value. They have the same body as an ES175 and in fact have the same tail piece as a single pickup ES175. Here's mine. Regards,

1be16164.png

Sam I agree with you, the ES165's are great value. They have the same body as an ES175 and in fact have the same tail piece as a single pickup ES175. Here's mine. Regards,

1be16164.png

i report a message of the owner of guitar:

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of the guitar.

This Gibson in 1967 and has never had any change.

The color is absolutely original, not beautiful but original.

And the price also takes account of this.

The sound in compensation is beautiful!!!!

i report a message of the owner of guitar:

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of the guitar.

This Gibson in 1967 and has never had any change.

The color is absolutely original, not beautiful but original.

And the price also takes account of this.

The sound in compensation is beautiful!!!!

Sorry, but I have never seen an original Gibson burst this bad.

From the 60s to the present, you would expect the gradient area of a Gibson burst to extend outside of the F-holes.

I would expect that dark burst, of very little gradient and area inside the F-holes, to be on older instruments, like pre-50s.

So for me that finish is a concern in terms of it not being original, no matter what the seller says. OTOH, the finish has nothing to do with how well the guitar plays and sounds - it very well could be a winner in those areas.

Archived