Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic

guitarmanjt

Does anybody remember the Les Paul Classic? It had 496R and 500T pickups and a little "1960" embedded in the pickguard. The first time I was at Guitar Center, I tried this out, and another time, I tried it through a Marshall JVM410 and it was completely kickass. There were three at this Guitar Center, a black, a goldtop, and a sunburst. Now they're all gone and I don't think they are made anymore. I wonder if Gibson would ever consider making them again...

There is a quite substantial number of '1960 Classic' owners on the forum.

It was a long-lived model - from 1989 up to as recently as 2008.

I doubt that Gibson would bring it back but you never know.

Some people disliked the powerful p-ups but they just need a bit of care dialling-in tone-wise.

I have a couple - a '91 and a '95 - and rate them both very highly indeed.

P.

My current Les Paul, and the one I've owned the longest in my life, is an 01 Classic Plus that I stole off Mars as they gurgled into bankruptcy. I put 57 classics in it wired to one volume, I put Grovers and straplocks on it, and it's been gigged pretty hard. I wouldn't part with it no matter how many people offer me money for it.

You prolly know which one it is...

mytv.gif

rct

Oh, if we're going to show some examples...(any excuse...LOL!)

1991 Vintage Sunburst. All original but added p-up covers;

Treaclev2.jpg

1995 Honey Sunburst, Premium-Plus top and with Seymour Duncan Antiquities;

Honey.jpg

P.

My Plus Plus Double Plus Good came undrilled for pickguard, which is how I like it. You put the guard on that purdy top or did it come that way?

rct

No idea, rct; but good question...

It was already 14 years old when I bought it and already had a p/g on it but it's not the stock '1960' engraved 'guard so might well have been fitted with an aftermarket one at a later date.

The snap I posted doesn't do the top justice. It's more attractive in real life.

Personally speaking in many ways I prefer the so-called 'Plain-Top' figure of the '91.

P.

Thanks for all the drool, XD.

Personally, I prefer Plain-Tops with a nice flowing grain over most Flame-Tops.

flight 959's G0 'Plain-Top' (and it is anything but plain!) is, unquestionably, one of the most gorgeous LP's I've ever seen in the 'wood'.

P.

Archived