Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Epi 50th 1960 V3

dalep

I have been looking for something on the less expensive end to replace my 05 LP Standard. I traded it in for a Taylor acoustic as my USA Hamer, USA Washburn and 60's Tribute LP really may it less useful to me than the Taylor. This has great specs and seemed like a perfect option at $620 to my door with HSC (#1334/1960). The specs are a solid maple top (1/2 to 3/4") with a flame veneer (1/16"). I cannot tell how many pieces the top is. The body is mahogany (4 piece) with a veneer on the back making it look like a 1 or 2 piece.

It arrived in perfect shape no issues. The case is brown with a pepto bismol pink lining. The fit and finish were nice and there were no issues. It is not perfect but is pretty decent for the fine details. The PU rings actually fit better than my 05 Standard. The BB1 and BB2 are very nice sounding pickups and I will not be switching them anytime soon. For what I want these were nicer than the stock BB Pro's in my 05 Standard. These are in there with Seth Lovers, Antiquities, DZ 36th Ann and 57/57+ that I have/have had in other guitars (and really like). It is a great classic rock, blues voiced tool that will do country and Jazzy things pretty well. It weights about what my 05 Standard did as well. It has a nice neck, not thin but not where my 50's profile LP was at. It is about what Warmoth calls their 59 profile to me. Fretwork was solid, level and had no issues at all. I liked the poly finish on it as well.

There are 2 things that I would have gone with differently. The knobs fit fine but wobble and were not even on the pots. I checked and then appear to be fully pressed on so I messed a bit with them and evened it out. I am not sure how they can wobble at all. Lastly the fretwire is not medium jumbo compared to my 05 standard or 60's tribute. It is not medium jumbo relative to what fender calls medium jumbo. It is about where my PRS Soapbar II fretwire is for height. Not as low as Fender vintage but not as tall as Fender medium jumbo.

It is definitely a keeper and will do 95% of what my 05 Standard for 1/5th the price. It is a very well made professional instrument that sounds great and kills.

Here are some pictures ...

EPILPSM1.jpg

EPILPSM.jpg

She's a beauty, Dalep ... comgrats!

I am missing a vintage burst from my LP collection. I'd been planning on waiting for the Ultra III to find its way across the sea since I've been so pleased with my cherryburst Ultra. This new guitar of yours gives me ideas though. I'll have to give one a closer look!

Enjoy!

Jim

Beautiful and very good matching.

I was talking to a guy at GC this evening who approached me as I was playing a used Gibby faded SG. He had a PRS in his hands and asked that I play it so he could compare the tone to the Gibby since the PRS was close to an SG knock off. At any rate, our conversation turned to the inconsistency of Gibson, particularly LP's and we both agreed that when you find a good one it's magic BUT that Epiphone is turning out some pretty damn fine instruments with BETTER QC; add a few upgrades and you're right up there with Gibson.

There's so much mystique and PR associated with having that Gibson moniker on your headstock but from my experience the hype doesn't live up to the actual products offerred (custom shop excluded).

I just sold my second Gibson LP; never bonded with it and Lord knows I tried. The only thing I'll miss is the Gibson name on that headstock. I'll get another but only after a long search for one that fits like a glove and "feels" right. It's that way with my Gretsch 5120 and several Epis and Agiles but Gibson has yet to make me smile.

So........good choice on your new Guit. You saved a ton of $$ and in my opinion got what you paid for (quality, playability and top notch aesthetics). [thumbup]

Beautiful and very good matching.

I was talking to a guy at GC this evening who approached me as I was playing a used Gibby worn SG. He had a PRS in his hands and asked that I play it so he could compare the tone to the Gibby since the PRS was close to an SG knock off. At any rate, our conversation turned to the inconsistency of Gibson, particularly LP's and we both agreed that when you find a good one it's magic BUT that Epiphone is turning out some pretty damn fine instruments with BETTER QC; add a few upgrades and you're right up there with Gibson.

There's so much mystique and PR associated with having that Gibson moniker on your headstock but from my experience the hype doesn't live up to the actual products offerred (custom shop excluded).

I just sold my second Gibson LP; never bonded with it and Lord knows I tried. The only thing I'll miss is the Gibson name on that headstock. I'll get another but only after a long search for one that fits like a glove and "feels" right. It's that way with my Gretsch 5120 and several Epis and Agiles but Gibson has yet to make me smile.

So........good choice on your new Guit. You saved a ton of $ and in my opinion got what you paid for (quality, playability and top notch aesthetics). [thumbup]

+1

Agree totally with the Gibby sentiment, I also think they're generally way overpriced,

+1

Agree totally with the Gibby sentiment, I also think they're generally way overpriced,

I have my Gibson 60's Tribute and really like it. It has a 3 piece back and nice plain top. It is chambered and is a nice guitar that I like as a player as well or better than many other Gibson models. I like many of the Gibson models. I liked my Gibson 05 Standard. It takes nothing from any of the other guitars that this Epi is a great playing and sounding guitar. I do find that I love my 95 Hamer studio more than about any of the guitars I owned to date. I have/have had the US Hamer, US Washburn, Gibson and have had US Fender makes as well. I do find I go in spells when certain guitars so all things are subject to change. I do think that this one is killer and not just for the price..

I have my Gibson 60's Tribute and really like it. It has a 3 piece back and nice plain top. It is chambered and is a nice guitar that I like as a player as well or better than many other Gibson models. I like many of the Gibson models. I liked my Gibson 05 Standard. It takes nothing from any of the other guitars that this Epi is a great playing and sounding guitar. I do find that I love my 95 Hamer studio more than about any of the guitars I owned to date. I have/have had the US Hamer, US Washburn, Gibson and have had US Fender makes as well. I do find I go in spells when certain guitars so all things are subject to change. I do think that this one is killer and not just for the price..

I have 6 Gibsons, none of them are anything but ordinary to me except maybe the Norlin era '71 LP Recording, they're ok guitars, just nothing special.

Beautiful guitar dalep! Cute kids too!

I really like the write up too, its easy to write glowing reviews during the honeymoon, but it sounds like you gave it a really even keeled review. I have been reading up on some of the current Epi LP models, and the V3 really got my attention. I guess I am waiting for the Tribute Plus to come out before I make a trip to Atlanta to test drive something, but your review really puts a positive light on this model.

Just a thought on some of the other comments, Gibby's prices are what drove me to my Heritage guitars. I got the 535 (335) and the H150 (LP) for less than the 335 I was courting. And I added custom spec features, and I would put my guitars up against "real" Gibbys any day for workmanship and playability. That's another reason I love my Epi's so much. I tell folks the same thing dalep says: I feel like I get 95% of the quality for 20% of the price.

But to be honest, I do crave the name on the headstock. It seems like it lends a bit of legitimacy.

Congrats, Dalep! I like the the Vintage Sunburst finish there. It looks a beaut!

I have an Epi LP Standard Plus (with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pups) and also a Gibby LP Studio Tribute '50s (humbucker model).....I love 'em both!

They both have amazing resonance; although the Epi, being unchambered, has a fatter tone while the Gibby is brighter and more punchy (almost SG like). For playability, the Gibson has the edge, although there is a slightly stiffer feel to the strings. Looks wise, the Epi probably has it from a distance because of the shininess and the binding. Close up, the craftsmanship and the beauty of the woods is very much apparent through the Gibby's faded finish.

A good Epi LP with upgraded pickups is, IMO, 90-95% of the way there on what matters (playability and tone.) On the other hand these Gibson LP Studio Tributes are great value, I think. I could never justify to myself paying the price for a Gibby LP Standard.

BTW, I'd love to see some pics of your other guits...

Alan

• 3 months later...

At first I was scratching my head wondering HOW I could have missed

this thread, but checked, and it HAS been in the Epi Lounge Guitar and Gear Review thread

for a quite a while.

Either way - Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm - very nice Guitar, Very nice collection!

I have the same neck on my EPI LP Classic - love it.

Bravo!

Archived