Gibson Brands Forums

Jazzmasters in vogue?

Regarding another famous Jazzmaster player, J Mascis, he originally wanted a Strat, but they were too expensive for him so he got a Jazzmaster. He hated the horizontal dial controls at the top of the guitar so much he jammed pencil erasers in there to prevent them from moving. I would do the same. The front man in Yu©k put a big strip of gaffers or duct tape across his.

And I forgot to mention, caught the last song from Sunday's opener at Pitchfork: The Fresh & Onlys. Their lead player was sporting a tasty butterscotch Jag. Think he was running through an AC30. Tasty, tasty sounds.

Regarding another famous Jazzmaster player, J Mascis, he originally wanted a Strat, but they were too expensive for him so he got a Jazzmaster. He hated the horizontal dial controls at the top of the guitar so much he jammed pencil erasers in there to prevent them from moving. I would do the same. The front man in Yu©k put a big strip of gaffers or duct tape across his.

And I forgot to mention, caught the last song from Sunday's opener at Pitchfork: The Fresh & Onlys. Their lead player was sporting a tasty butterscotch Jag. Think he was running through an AC30. Tasty, tasty sounds.

Noticed the duct tape on the Yuck guy's Jazzmaster. That explains that. Sadly, we walked into the park just as the Fresh & Onlys ended their set. I'd hoped to see them, but. . .

Sadly, we walked into the park just as the Fresh & Onlys ended their set. I'd hoped to see them, but. . .

Me too! Was all set to leave the house and got a call from work. It's always something, isn't it? That last song they played had me pounding the ground because I missed their whole set. We didn't stay very late, either. My wife is into her second trimester and with that heat she wasn't doing too well. Once I got home I watched Superchunk and Deerhunter's sets online. Not sure why they didn't broadcast TV On the Radio's set.

I played the Jag 'til I switched over to bass.

Boysclub-1.jpg?t=1311084955

Wow! How cool to have a snap like that! [thumbup]

Guessing, I know, but is that a metallic-finish (Candy-Apple Red?) 'Matching Headstock' Jazz bass and a Strat completing the string-section? Great, atmospheric picture. Thanks for sharing!

And the look of your band really reminds me of The Ventures. "Walk Don't Run" is running through my head as I type!

Were you a part of the 'Surf Scene', by any chance?

:-k

P.

Wow! How cool to have a snap like that! [thumbup]

Guessing, I know, but is that a metallic-finish (Candy-Apple Red?) 'Matching Headstock' Jazz bass and a Strat completing the string-section? Great, atmospheric picture. Thanks for sharing!

And the look of your band really reminds me of The Ventures. "Walk Don't Run" is running through my head as I type!

Were you a part of the 'Surf Scene', by any chance?

:-k

P.

The Jag was an ugly peach color, (with matching head stock), the Jazz Bass was like Fire Engine Red, (with matching head stock). The Strat was Sunburst. Drums were a Champaign-colored Ludwig set.

We did many "surf songs" in the beginning.

You can see the color of the Jag in this photo, (amazingly enough...this is NOT my Jag.... but this is the only other Jag I ever saw that was the same color, and we were both in the same group!)

BreadTruckInColor.jpg?t=1311176417

Thanks for the answer, DanvillRob.

Yet another shot full of nostalgia!

Weird about the colour of the pair of Jags (which I happen to like, BTW - if it were only a Strat!!!).

Any more snaps from the Vintage Vault that need some fresh air.....???

P.

Thanks for the answer, DanvillRob.

Yet another shot full of nostalgia!

Weird about the colour of the pair of Jags (which I happen to like, BTW - if it were only a Strat!!!).

Any more snaps from the Vintage Vault that need some fresh air.....???

P.

How 'bout this one?

I've shown it before.

This shot was taken the night Janice Joplin drug her nasty fingers through a cake that the dance promoter got us to celebrate the release of our single.

You can see by this time, the Lead was playing a Rick 12-string, I still have my Sunburst Jazz Bass, & the singer has a Gretsch Country Gentleman.

OnStage.jpg

Thanks again, DanvillRob!

I love looking at period photographs regardless of which period they capture. There is so much in them to delight us! The drape curtain in that shot is perfect!

I love the array of Brownface Fenders and Vox as the backline!

And what's the Janis Joplin connection? (I know we're getting off-topic so a PM would be great if you prefer).

P.

The Jag was an ugly peach color, (with matching head stock),

Fiesta Red. Usually anywhere from peach-y to very salmon-y. You either love that color or hate it, ehy?

the Jazz Bass was like Fire Engine Red, (with matching head stock).

Dakota Red.

Nice pictures! Thank you for putting them up here!

rct

Thanks again, DanvillRob!

I love looking at period photographs regardless of which period they capture. There is so much in them to delight us! The drape curtain in that shot is perfect!

I love the array of Brownface Fenders and Vox as the backline!

And what's the Janis Joplin connection? (I know we're getting off-topic so a PM would be great if you prefer).

P.

That particular gig was in the East Bay Area, and Big Brother was the opening act.

Since our record had just hit the air waves, we were the featured act, (which I'm sure went over like a truck-load of dead babies on Mother's Day to Janice!)

The cake said something like, "Congratulations On The Release Of "Baby What's New". Janice ran her fingers throught the frosting on the cake, so I told her to keep her

nasty fingers off the cake. The story after that gets kind of fuzzy. Several members of the band got together back in 2007. Of courrse we all remembered the incident,

but we all remembered it differently! From me hitting her hand away, to a full-blown food fight.

Back then I played through a Bassman amp with an extra Showman Single 12" speaker box. The keyboard used the VOX Super Beatle amp.

Some 20 years ago my old black Bassman and 4/10 cab went to my baby bro (28 years younger than I am) - but get this, I'd forgotten that and thought it had been sold during some moves along with the Precision.

Nope. Both of us had forgotten that.

Now I've gotta head to my Mom's and get the thing head. Dunno if the cab's still there or if it ... disappeared. <grin> If the cab's gone, I dunno what I can/should do to replace it. I was thinking the amp was only 35 tube watts... apparently it's more. I never had it maxed regardless, although I'll wager my bro did with his black x-shaped whatever it was guitar.

m

Some 20 years ago my old black Bassman and 4/10 cab went to my baby bro (28 years younger than I am) - but get this, I'd forgotten that and thought it had been sold during some moves along with the Precision.

Nope. Both of us had forgotten that.

Now I've gotta head to my Mom's and get the thing head. Dunno if the cab's still there or if it ... disappeared. <grin> If the cab's gone, I dunno what I can/should do to replace it. I was thinking the amp was only 35 tube watts... apparently it's more. I never had it maxed regardless, although I'll wager my bro did with his black x-shaped whatever it was guitar.

m

Is the Bassman from like teh 1980?

I don't recall a Bassman with four 10" speakers.

I only recall my old Bassman, I thought it had 100 W of power, with two 12" Jensen speakers.

My new Bassman is solid state, I think it has 100W of power with one 15" speaker and a horn.

I think I told you about my old Jag. When I got out of music, I gave it to my brother. I didn't say I wanted it back, but I figured if he ever wanted to part with it, he'd give it back....

But he didn't even give me a chance to BUY it ... I found out last year that he'd sold it years ago....damn.....

The Bassman was probably a 60s or 70s model.

I got it from a kid who ran a band and owned the amp for one bass player as I recall, then got a new bass player who had his own stuff. Black; 4-10s in the black cab. I remember thinking it looked identical to the bassman in the band I played with in late '65 and '66.

My bro was surprised I hadn't gotten the amp from my Mom or that I didn't know it was there. To be honest, after 20 years I just kinda forgot about it and figured he still had it or whatever-ed it.

But I'd been thinking about a bass amp and a better-than-the-cheapie Ibanez bass I've got that buzzes on the g string first cupla frets. I can't imagine a much better general purpose bass amp if the cab is still there...

P.S. to the "young guys" here. Gray hair and creases on the face do not end either G.A.S. attacks or youthful exuberance. They just incline you to be more circumspect on how you display them in public. <chortle>

m

P.S. to the "young guys" here. Gray hair and creases on the face do not end either G.A.S. attacks or youthful exuberance. They just incline you to be more circumspect on how you display them in public. <chortle>

m

Tell ME! I just bought a new H'Bird due to G.A.S.!!

Yupper...

I told you about the paleontologist excavating a triceratops around here - we've a treasure trove of dinosaur fossils around here, truly - and returned the wallet I'd lost in high school?

m

Yupper...

I told you about the paleontologist excavating a triceratops around here - we've a treasure trove of dinosaur fossils around here, truly - and returned the wallet I'd lost in high school?

m

HAHA! Speakin' of olden days..... someone sent me an LA Times article about Janet Planet meeting Van Morrison behind a Roller Skating Arena back in 1966. I just happen to have a photo of that historic meeting!

LA Times Article, November 17, 1998

Here's the photo, (I've posted before), Van Morrison, (short guy with head cocked), me, (Black suit coat with tie next to Van), Janet off to the right side (boreing a hole through Van with her eyes!)

THEMPeterWheat.jpg?t=1311198165

Hello, Fellow Babies,

I think that a point that is not being considered fairly is that a lot of us have been influenced by our guitar heros even before we bought our first guitar. So it just could be that you will never really be satisfied with any guitar but your first love.

Like in my case, my first electric was a used 1959 Jazzmaster, and it performed brilliantly in every way I could have asked. I was happy with all the tone settings; the bridge pickup was great, screaming, clear, and with enough midrange that it was all testosterone, and the neck pickup gave a great, authoritative, baritone Duane Eddy sound. I used the whammy bar a lot, and the Jazzmaster has the absolute best whammy bar - period - of any I've ever used. But I would never be satisfied until I had a Gretsch just like the mahogany 6120 that Duane Eddy used early in his career. I just really love a traditional arch top, and after all these years, Fender still looks suspiciously to me like Picasso was the father, not Leo.

You could also consider the style factor. When I started playing in California, surf music was King of the West; here were surf bands as far inland as the Astronauts located in Boulder, Colorado. If you are really determined to prove me wrong, you can devote a few months searching to find the one guy that played in a major surf band using anything except Fender. When I saw my first live performance in north Hollywood, it was a group named "the Lively Ones". They were all wearing sequined jackets and had matching candy sapphire Fender guitars - with the lead guitar playing a Jazzmaster. At that moment in time it had been very firmly established in **** millions**** of minds that country music liked boots, hats, and Gibson where surfers liked Pendleton shirts, surf boards, and Fender. Oh by the way, lest you think I've named a couple of one-hit, nobody bands, both the Astronauts and the Lively Ones had world tours and cut multiple albums.

I also had one of my worst experiences on stage playing my Jazzmaster. My band was playing before a live audience for in a live broadcast for a DC radio station, WPGC, hosted by their popular big, deal DJ, Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino. I know, I know --it looks like dino as in dinosaur, but that's how they spelled it. Anyway, I knocked out the first notes of Lonnie Mac's "Memphis," and it was coming outta my amp kinda " Memphis, what's that??". I was frantically trying to adjust knobs in between playing -- holy crap I was freaking -- a couple a seconds in I finally realized I was switched into the rhythm circuit -- i switched to the lead circuit and simultaneously flattened the first three rows in the audience and caused the sound engineer to jerk straight up and rip off his headset. I was having a little trouble getting into the grove. I can assure you that I felt like a real moron...

I also had one of my worst experiences on stage playing my Jazzmaster. My band was playing before a live audience for in a live broadcast for a DC radio station, WPGC, hosted by their popular big, deal DJ, Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino. I know, I know --it looks like dino as in dinosaur, but that's how they spelled it. Anyway, I knocked out the first notes of Lonnie Mac's "Memphis," and it was coming outta my amp kinda " Memphis, what's that??". I was frantically trying to adjust knobs in between playing -- holy crap I was freaking -- a couple a seconds in I finally realized I was switched into the rhythm circuit -- i switched to the lead circuit and simultaneously flattened the first three rows in the audience and caused the sound engineer to jerk straight up and rip off his headset. I was having a little trouble getting into the grove. I can assure you that I felt like a real moron...

Man.... which of us hasn't done that at least once....but in a live broadcast, THAT must have tweaked a LOT of radios, eh?

I suppose if I could have unlimited guitars, I'd try to find another vintage Jag, and if there was STILL room for more, then a Tele, THEN a Jazzmaster.

I personally never was into the "get a guitar like your heroes play" for some reason.

Partly I think it was cash, but more than that it was availability and playability.

At least, that's how it was for me, and that's back when I was in my teens and 20s too.

Now? I guess I haven't changed much except for gray hair that's little more sparse than the brown I had then, and some creases on the face. Well... and I can't jump around stage the way I did then either. <grin>

m

I personally never was into the "get a guitar like your heroes play" for some reason.

Partly I think it was cash, but more than that it was availability and playability.

At least, that's how it was for me, and that's back when I was in my teens and 20s too.

m

As a youngin eager to play in a live band, I knew i wanted a Fender, but which one wasn't all that important. I got my Jag used, and it was all I could get at the time. Guitars were scarce back then. Right after I got the Jag, and we started up the band, I got a job in a Music Store. ALL electric guitars were STILL scarce!

I recall when I wanted to switch over to bass, I had to wait like a month for any Fender bass to become available. Since I worked in the store, the manager knew I was waiting on one to come in. When it first hit our warehouse, (I think we had 3 stores), he let me know, I drove to San Jose and picked it up directly from the

warehouse....so it never hit any store at all!

I figure that's why I never made the Big Time... After that moment there were too many people in radio that hated me.

Scene: a sound stage somewhere in DC, the stage is filled with detectives, police officers string yellow tape on all the doors, and wind it around my wrists. Blood leaking from his ears, a man lies on the floor, surrounded by a chalk outline. Medics are checking bodies lying limply in the theater seats.

Burly cops are holding each of Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino's arms.

Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino: voice choked with emotion: "You've... you killed my sound man!"

Detective, making notes in his notebook: he growls at me: "So, anything ya wanta add anything to yer statement?"

Me: "Yeh. uhh... Any, uh... chance I could have an encore?"

I figure that's why I never made the Big Time... After that moment there were too many people in radio that hated me.

Scene: a sound stage somewhere in DC, the stage is filled with detectives, police officers string yellow tape on all the doors, and wind it around my wrists. Blood leaking from his ears, a man lies on the floor, surrounded by a chalk outline. Medics are checking bodies lying limply in the theater seats.

Burly cops are holding each of Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino's arms.

Big Ol', Fat Ol' Dino: voice choked with emotion: "You've... you killed my sound man!"

Detective, making notes in his notebook: he growls at me: "So, anything ya wanta add anything to yer statement?"

Me: "Yeh. uhh... Any, uh... chance I could have an encore?"

You could probably get off with a small fine if you promised to trade in your Jazzmaster for a LP!

Archived