Gibson Brands Forums

VHT Amp

hollowdan

I am a new member and wanted to get feedback regarding the practice, small, small gigging amp I purchased. I bought a VHT Special 6 hand wired, combo amp yesterday. My intention is to get a rich tube sound in a small amp, achieving the tone with a lower volume level during practice. I have read a lot about these amps and am eager to get started playing it. I will be playing an Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Limited Edition (a 2010 Red Wine version) through it, along with my Fender Telecaster (2000 MIM). I play traditional blues music, such as Muddy Waters and Albert King. These VHT's have amazing rich sound, I have heard, for the $199 price tag. Real tube sound with 6 Watts! Anyone else pick one of these up? -- RivieraLEP93

RivieraLEP,

Welcome to the forum....

Pics are a must......

The amp sounds very interesting.

Although unfamiliar with it, I am interested in purchasing something along that line.

By the sound of your post, you have bought it but, not received it yet?

One of our members, Animalfarm, has started a review list in the Epiphone Lounge.

When you get it....or, if you already have...how about posting a review in the lounge?

A shortcut to your review will be posted on a list for future reference.

Sorry I'm not much help but, it does sound interesting.

Again, Welcome!

Willy

Hi, Thanks for your replies to my thread. I am usually fairly adept at uploading pics and various things such as that. However, I am struggling a bit to do this. In the meantime, out of respect for your meaningful request for picks of the VHT, I will add a link here:

VHT Special 6 Combo Amp

I hope this works properly. Have a feeling the html shows in the writing of the post and then when I post it, it will become a real link, pic, etc. I will get it together, I promise.

In answer to the questions: I don't yet have this amp and I will be very pleased to write a review after it arrives. In the meantime, thanks for the welcome and for the interest!

I added an attachment that has pic, but as I said, I am not sure if my methods are working yet. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi there, looks to be a cool little amp, I'm in the market for a "lunch box" amp myself, be interested in your review of this, congrats.

There's info on posting pics in the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

DIY Thread

Congratulations on the amp, I have a friend that has a similar model (Special 6 Ultra) and loves it. If you get a little money ahead, do yourself a favor and look for a few NOS or old production tubes. They'll really open it up. We retubed his and the improvement was surprising. Really nice old black plate 6V6s can be had for $20-25 and there are still some excellent 12AX7s and 5751s to be had for a little less. Newer tubes just aren't the same.

Thanks for the welcome and I will work on the skills of posting and get it together. I will also enjoy the review writing thing. Sounds like a nice opportunity. I am expecting my Riviera to really warm up on this amp. I usually play it on a Fender Deluxe 90, which is solid state. It has some advantages for performing, but the tube amp is my "thang" now. I have had a Blues Junior and sold it an American Standard Strat to buy a Taylor. Sometimes I regret those moves, but the Taylor is sweet. Nothing like playing my old blues like Call it Stormy Monday and They Sky is Cryin' on my Epiphone Semi-hollow, though. Thanks again!

My Favorite Acoustics I own are my vintage Guild D55 (1976) and National Reso-phonic M-2. Yours?

Archived