Gibson Brands Forums

Effects Loops?

Not-Too-Late

I would like to ask your help regarding the use of the effects loops on my Princeton Chorus amp. I used the amp when I played years ago, but never gave thought to the use of these loops. What are they for, and how would I use them? Thanks guys. You might not be able to see the picture properly unless you click on it. Not sure how to properly place photos on the threads as yet. Sorry about that.

post-34634-062372300 1311613878_thumb.jpg

well, Instead of having your guitar plugged into the effects then the effects to the amp... you can plug your guitar directly into the amp and use the effects loop by taking the output of the effects loop to the input of your pedal/s (whatever) then taking the output from your effects back into the effects loop input. It works better for some effects but not for others...just have to experiment. The one thing that doesn't seem to respond very well in the effect loop is the wah wah pedal if you are using overdrive/distortion.

well, Instead of having your guitar plugged into the effects then the effects to the amp... you can plug your guitar directly into the amp and use the effects loop by taking the output of the effects loop to the input of your pedal/s (whatever) then taking the output from your effects back into the effects loop input. It works better for some effects but not for others...just have to experiment. The one thing that doesn't seem to respond very well in the effect loop is the wah wah pedal if you are using overdrive/distortion.

Thanks!! You learn something new every day. Is there any sound quality advantage in hooking up your pedals this way as opposed to the traditional way of guitar through dedals then through amp? Are there any other uses for these loops? I appreciate your help.

Not sure how to properly place photos on the threads as yet. Sorry about that.

Neil described the effects loop pretty well, as for posting pics, there's info on doing that in the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

DIY Thread

I suspects that the effects loop probably is very useful when using a sophisticated rack mounted effects unit or units. or if you are playing live and you want to just connect straight to the amp with a radio transmitter so you can run about like a loony but still have your effects connected through the loop and set out nicely in your favourite place on the stage. but i am not talking from experience....just speculating

I haven't read thd DIY thread on loops yet........but,

An effects loop inserts your effects after the pre-amp, and before the power section.........

There can be a stunning difference in the quality of your sound.....

Fuzz, distortion, etc, don't really benefit from being run through an effects loop, nor a wah,

but most modulation effects do.........or can......as, not all effect loops are the same,

nor are designed the same...............experiment a bit....just don't cut the blue wire.......

Fuzz, distortion, etc, don't really benefit from being run through an effects loop, nor a wah,

but most modulation effects do.........or can......as, not all effect loops are the same,

nor are designed the same...............experiment a bit....just don't cut the blue wire.......

What he said [thumbup]

Some professional musicians still run their wahs in the loop though. I tried it and didn't like it.

Even though I have 2 high end amps with effects loops-A Marshall JCM 800 4210 and a Vox AD120 VTH-I never use them.I find that using the effects loop,no matter how good the amp,robs tone.I have experimented many times but always have gone back to plugging directly into the front of the amp.Most if not all effects loops go between the preamp and power amp and that's where your tone loss comes from.I find that the mids and highs are not near as pronounced and even EQ tweaks don't cure the muddiness.So I think that you'd be better off not using your effects loop.

Even though I have 2 high end amps with effects loops-A Marshall JCM 800 4210 and a Vox AD120 VTH-I never use them.I find that using the effects loop,no matter how good the amp,robs tone.I have experimented many times but always have gone back to plugging directly into the front of the amp.Most if not all effects loops go between the preamp and power amp and that's where your tone loss comes from.I find that the mids and highs are not near as pronounced and even EQ tweaks don't cure the muddiness.So I think that you'd be better off not using your effects loop.

Interesting, especially considering those great amps you use. I don't quite understand why they would put the loop before the preamp. I'll give my Princeton Chorus a try. Nothing to lose I guess, except for the cost of another cord. No biggy, as one could always use extra cords. My main concern is getting rid of the muddy sound, and I really don't care much where I plug the effects pedals as long as I achieve that goal. The bottom line is what you get out of your amp that counts . . . loop or no loop. Thanks!

Archived