Gibson Brands Forums

I need suggestions

DAS44

For miking an amp; Senneiser e609 Silver Dynamic Mic........On sale at M.F. for $109.95, with a free tripod short stand.......

Look for additional coupons............I've used this type......works great.........

I should have included the sad criteria that it has to be USB compatible. I'll edit the first post, sorry guys.

Why ???? Explain ????? ANY mike can be run through an interface converting the signal to USB;

MOST USB mikes designed as USB devices aren't much good........

Guest farnsbarns

Why ???? Explain ????? ANY mike can be run through an interface converting the signal to USB;

My thoughts exactly, USB mics will always be a half arsed solution. Pick up a used USB sound card and a decent xlr Mic. SM57 all day long.

Sadly buying the interface for the Sure SM57 would add $60+ to the (total) price (on GC's site at least). I know that they're generally of a lesser quality but I don't have the $ to swing.

Farns, a USB sound card? Care to elaborate?

Though I am going to rake in some $ soon enough so I probably will be able to swing the converter (hopefully). Forgot about that.

Any "Audio Interface" with XLR inputs will allow you to convert to USB to allow recording. Thats how most people do home recording.

I use an old discontinued one - the M-Audio Firewire 1814 (Firewire intead of USB but you get the point)...you could look at M-Boxes etc...

However, then you need to buy the interface AND the mic....doesn't sound like thats in your budget right now. But you could save for it?

Guest farnsbarns

There are others on eBay for even less. I would definately go another 20 or so. The difference will be amazing.

However, then you need to buy the interface AND the mic....doesn't sound like thats in your budget right now. But you could save for it?

Chances are I'd be able to grab the mic before the interface (by a couple weeks) but I'll survive. Thanks for the suggestions guys, educated me, keep them coming!.

Guest farnsbarns

Chances are I'd be able to grab the mic before the interface (by a couple weeks) but I'll survive. Thanks for the suggestions guys, educated me, keep them coming!.

If it were me I'd get involved in that auction I linked first and wait for the mic. That Creative is a very good deal.

For miking an amp; Senneiser e609 Silver Dynamic Mic........On sale at M.F. for $109.95, with a free tripod short stand.......

Look for additional coupons............I've used this type......works great.........

Thats what I use. I also Have a SM 57 but prefer the Sennheiser.

I run cheap new mikes or an antique Shure sm57 through my ss acoustic-electric amp - separate front ends for mike and guitar - and thence to one of those usb interfaces for the computer.

Damian's right IMHO that a usb-specific mike or guitar probably is pretty lousy.

So IMHO you're better off with that $20-30 mike and a usb interface than alternatives. Heck, I use that sort of outfit more than my old "better" mikes. For maybe that $20-$30 you can get a mike and stand. Then the interface would take you up to your $100. Is it up to the Shure quality? Heck no. But...

Then you add a freebie recording software like Audacity and you're cookin' with gas. If you want to save to MP3 you've gotta mess a bit with it and a download of a lame encoder, but that's no big deal - or shouldn't be if a poor worn out old man can figure it a poor young man can. <grin>

Another trick I've used when I was young and broke instead of old and broke was a plug that worked for a single input guitar amp. You could plug the mike into one side and the guitar into the other and it had volume controls on both sides. I don't know if they still make 'em and yeah, you've gotta pretty much do the amp "clean" even if you use a stomp box before the guitar goes into the amp... I still have mine and it's well over 40 years old and I think it was used when I got it.

m

Archived