Gibson Brands Forums

Fora full electric band, whats better, SWD or SJ ?

EuroAussie

As most of you know my main project is our acoustic band, but a good friend of mine started a classic rock covers band, with the full electric set up.

He invited me to jamm with them at a rehearsal to bring an acoustic element, and I was wondering if my mahogany SJ or rosewood SWD would be the better option in terms of cutting through the mix and combining with electrics ?

Can anyone provide some advice ?

thanks a lot.

For me Mahogany has always had the zing & ring where rosewood has that angry uppercut.....

For cutting through, I guess either would work but I would be tempted to say the rosewood would have more cut (generally speaking) however in a full electric setup I'd be more tempted by the Mahogany to provide a ringing layer than to compete against electrics.

Just my tuppence worth.

But this would be just for a one off jamm session as my friend lives quite a distance from Prague. Be sort of like a jamm weekend. Ill probably bring both, but im sort of favouring the SJ if it was going to be just one. I have a feeling the SWD will get lost with the bass / electrics as its quite bass heavy while the SJ can cut through very well with that midrange it has.

Or bugger it, maybe Ill just dust of the Les Paul ... [cool]

Sounds to me like you need a semi/hollow in your stable. . B)

As most of you know my main project is our acoustic band, but a good friend of mine started a classic rock covers band, with the full electric set up.

He invited me to jamm with them at a rehearsal to bring an acoustic element, and I was wondering if my mahogany SJ or rosewood SWD would be the better option in terms of cutting through the mix and combining with electrics ?

Can anyone provide some advice ?

thanks a lot.

YAWN!

Who said this recently ??

To be honest when plugged in you're mainly comparing pickups rather than guitars.

Well they do have different pickups cowboy, so which one is your choice, hmm ?

When plugged in there is still a big difference in tone between rosewood and mahogany which is why choose which guitar to use depending on venue and set up.

Well they do have different pickups cowboy, so which one is your choice, hmm ?

When plugged in there is still a big difference in tone between rosewood and mahogany which is why choose which guitar to use depending on venue and set up.

Well "cobber" ( just FYI no cowboys where I am from just so you know), all I am saying is perhaps you can answer your own question.

Given that, (with a bit of help from a pedal or two) I can make either my '58 J45, '99 SJ300 or my Nick Lucas sound like my '66 Rosewood telecaster (playing rythmn) what does it matter which you use?

Playing rythmn in an all electric band doesn't always need the finest acoustic texture possible (or if it does why use ANY sort of pickup)

Leave it to the setup when you can tell the tech what sound you need, then to the mixing desk, if theres one handy at your gig.

Chacun a son gout

Hence my yawn

To be honest in a full band situation especially rock it will not matter that much

You are going to need to EQ the guitar sound to sit with the band anyway. You are never going to get the full range you get with an acoustic on its own or with your acoustic band, you are competing with too many other instruments frequency wise.

Think of when you listen to a rock record with acoustic in it, you tend to hear the upper range of guitar in the mix -- hopefully this will make this understandable.

I agree with the above post. You are overthinking the situation. I have played virtually every acoustic I have owned with a rock band. The guitar mattered far less than the electronics. Being old school, I have stuck with DeArmond 210 pickups pluuged straight into a 1955 Fender Twin Amp. Somebody recenly gave me one of those Duncan passive sound hole pickups. It does have a more natural sound to it then the DeArmond but I did not find it as well balanced as the DeArmond. Plus I really like that Lighnin' Hopkins vibe the DeArmond gives me.

Archived