Gibson Brands Forums

my Epi sounded better than a J-45 yesterday

meanstreak

I was playing with my brothers and a friend of theirs. He has a J-45 about 6 years old. We were amped up through a Fender PA system. I listened to them practice a few songs for a show tonight, then when they were done I plugged my DR-500 in and it sounded amazing compared to the J-45. Deep lows and crystal clear mids and highs. Maybe it was because he had a soundhole cover and I was playing without one. Maybe it's because I have a Baggs iBeam and the J-45 has the undersaddle Baggs element. He has changed his strings "a couple days ago" and mine were about a month old Martins. Maybe I'm just bias lol!

Whatever the reason everyone agreed my Epi blew his Gibson away! Let the flaming commence!

To be honest when plugged in you're mainly comparing pickups rather than guitars.

An Epi for example with a fishman ust pickup running through a J-45 image on an Aura Spectrum DI will always sound better than a straight J-45 plugged into the amp.

How did they compare when not plugged in, just straight acoustic tone ?

To be honest when plugged in you're mainly comparing pickups rather than guitars.

An Epi for example with a fishman ust pickup running through a J-45 image on an Aura Spectrum DI will always sound better than a straight J-45 plugged into the amp.

How did they compare when not plugged in, just straight acoustic tone ?

lol ya ya ya I know!! They were seriously practicing for a show tonight so his soundhole cover never came off! I'd have to admit that wouldn't be a fair comparison without removing it. [tongue]

It might just be a case of not really sounding better as much as different. At one point, My J-200 ended up sitting in the case for quite awhile because I simply liked the sound of my SJ better. Then one day, on a whim, I grabbed the J-200 and started to play. I was amazed at how flippin' good that guitar sounded and wondered how I could have ever forgotten that.

Not a thing in the world wrong with the Epi Masterbilt line. A bunch of real sweet guitars. Sadly, a lot of people who ride the Gibson/Epi-bashing wagons have no idea of what they are missing.

Yep!!

Archived