Gibson Brands Forums

Are Songmaster Grand Concert Series considered "true" Gibson's?

sixstringjustice

I've got a deposit down on one of the last Songmaker Grand Concert Mahogany left at a Canadian music store chain. If you're like me, you didn't even know about this guitar. It was produced at the Gibson factory in St. John's, Newfoundland. Gibson bought Garrison Guitars in 2007 and is now refitting the factory to produce Epiphone Masterbilts.

This guitar (and its rosewood counterpart) used to retail for $1399 Canadian. I've got the chance to buy this one for $899 Can. My opinion is: If it plays great and seems like a steal, it's still a Gibson Acoustic from a true Gibson factory!

So, is it still a "true' Gibson Acoustic if it doesn't come from Bozeman?

Gibson Grand Concert Mahogany

Its got the Gibson logo, then its a certified Gibson.

The question is as you said tone and playability as these models have dodgy reputation, but if it ticks the boxes then you got yourself a great deal on a 100% Gibson !

Guest Music Villain

nope, not a true Gibson in any shape or form othe than the name on the headstock and label. They stopped building this junk for a reason, and they are not even up to par with the Garrisons built there.

• 7 months later...

nope, not a true Gibson in any shape or form othe than the name on the headstock and label. They stopped building this junk for a reason, and they are not even up to par with the Garrisons built there.

Do you own one? I do. I also have a 1973 J-50 Deluxe and is Luthier Restored. The CSM SONGMAKER sounds better than that and as good as my Gibson Gospel, and my Blues King. Anyone who was fortunate enough to get one of these for $899.00 got a steal. They play effortlessly and has a super bright sound.

I feel the CSM SONGMAKER plays as well as any Martin or Taylor I have played, and fit and finish is perfect.

So, is it still a "true' Gibson Acoustic if it doesn't come from Bozeman?

Gibson Grand Concert Mahogany

Before I had the opportunity to buy my J45 I had my name down for a Gibson Songmaker DSM. At the time I owned an Epiphone Dove and longed to own a Gibson. The DSM was my ticket into the Gibson brand. I was well aware that it didn't hold the same reputation of Montana made Gibsons, however it was part of the brand and surely a step up in quality from my Epi. In the end I was lucky enough to leapfrog my way in with my current guitar. If you're happy with the guitar don't let anyone put you off. You're payin for it and will get years of enjoyment out of it. If you think you can hold off a while longer and save a bit more cash you could always pick up a bargain online? Happy guitar shopping!

Think of it as a step-child. It has the Gibson label, but its bloodlines are a bit questionable. But it still has the label, so it is still a Gibson. After all, we don't turn up our noses at modern Gibsons because they weren't built in Kalamazoo, do we?

The market will determine value over time, as it has done with other Gibsons that don't fit the pattern well, such as the MK models, or even the classicals.

I have never even seen a Garrison guitar but from what I have heard they were making some really fine instruments before Gibson entered the picture.

Anyway my answer is yup it is a Gibson cuz that is what is says on the headstock. But no it is not an old school Gibson. Look at it this way - like the Hummingbird it is a Gibson, just a Gibson of a different color.

As has been pointed out - it really don't matter what name is on the headstock. All that matters is that you like the guitar and it gives you enjoyment.

I went to a workshop held at a guitar store. A trio performed, and all three played Canadian-made Gibsons from the store's inventory. They sounded great, though different from the traditional Gibson tone.

Nice instruments, but more modern-sounding (i.e., Taylor-like) than the decades-old, usual-suspect Gibson designs (which I love, by the way).

Enjoy yours.

Red 333

Archived