Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Gibson LP Studio Care

rjames1973

Hi,

I purchased a new Gibson Les Paul Studio a few months ago (wine red with gold hardware), and I really love the guitar. I generally keep the guitar in its hardshell case when I'm not playing it. I'm always concerned about leaving the guitar out in the open for too long. I just had the guitar set up, and I was told that leaving it out for too long can affect the neck, tonality, etc. -- especially during the summer and winter months. My question is this: How long is it safe to leave the guitar out of its hardshell case when I'm not actually playing it? I live in a two bedroom apartment, and I generally have the air conditioner running when I'm at home. When I'm at work, I generally set the thermostat to a higher temperature to keep my electricity bill down. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I take care of my investment.

As long as the guitar doesn't fall over or otherwise get damaged outside of it's case, you can otherwise safely leave the guitar out of the case at all times if you do this : Make sure the guitar is not subjected to drastic and sudden changes in temperature or humidity. Gradual changes, like changing of the seasons is ok, but always keep an eye on the humidity (winter is really dry). The guitar will acclimate to whatever it's environment is, but it needs time to adjust slowly to survive the change! Pulling the guitar out of a 150 degree vehicle and immediately bringing it into a cold room (or vise-versa) can bust up the finish, called checking. These cracks would not be easily or cheaply repaired. If you can keep the guitar from falling or being dropped, leaving it out will be fine. Just watch for sudden, drastic changes of it's environment. :) guitars are tougher than you would think, just don't be stupid with them ;)

strat-o-steve,

Thanks for your reply. I don't gig, so the guitar remains in my guest room/mini recording studio at all times. So, the guitar is never subjected to any major changes in temperature or humidity, other than when I switch the AC on and off (during the summer) and the heat on and off (during the winter).

As long as the guitar doesn't fall over or otherwise get damaged outside of it's case, you can otherwise safely leave the guitar out of the case at all times if you do this : Make sure the guitar is not subjected to drastic and sudden changes in temperature or humidity. Gradual changes, like changing of the seasons is ok, but always keep an eye on the humidity (winter is really dry). The guitar will acclimate to whatever it's environment is, but it needs time to adjust slowly to survive the change! Pulling the guitar out of a 150 degree vehicle and immediately bringing it into a cold room (or vise-versa) can bust up the finish, called checking. These cracks would not be easily or cheaply repaired. If you can keep the guitar from falling or being dropped, leaving it out will be fine. Just watch for sudden, drastic changes of it's environment. :) guitars are tougher than you would think, just don't be stupid with them ;)

What is a good polish for a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Studios have the same nitro finish, at least mine does. '04 model. I've used just standard guitar polish, no obvious problems so far. [smile] As mentioned previously, avoid extreme & rapid temps, most important thing.

Archived