Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! .. I need your professional opinions ...

RASHARU

OK. I realize that I'm posting in the wrong area but I've come to kinda know you guys & I definitely respect your opinions.

I've been an exclusively "acoustic" guy all along (and dang proud of it!) but now I've decided to bring a Les Paul into my arena.

Now, for the OPINION part.. I don't know much of anything about LP's so I need your advice (coming from fellow acoustic guys). I know that many of you play LP's too, so help me out!

I'm looking to buy USED for around $1500~$1800. What model would you suggest?

OK. I realize that I'm posting in the wrong area but I've come to kinda know you guys & I definitely respect your opinions.

I've been an exclusively "acoustic" guy all along (and dang proud of it!) but now I've decided to bring a Les Paul into my arena.

Now, for the OPINION part.. I don't know much of anything about LP's so I need your advice (coming from fellow acoustic guys). I know that many of you play LP's too, so help me out!

I'm looking to buy USED for around $1500~$1800. What model would you suggest?

You're gonna get a lot of feedback on that one from this group, most prefaced by "why do you want an LP instead of a .....(you fill in the blanks)?".

I'll stick my toe in by saying that as an acoustic guy, I prefer the look, feel and sound of the ES series, in particular the ES 335. For $1800, you can buy a decent late-model Memphis-built ES 335. Save yourself a bit of weight across your shoulders, and still maintain a bit of the acoustic guitar look and feel.

I'll stick to the topic - LPs. For the money you're talking about, you should be able to get a nice Standard. As far as preferences go, you should visit some shops and play as many different pup combinations as you can, no matter what LP they're in - so you can get an idea of the sound you want. While you're doing this, pay attention to the hardware and electronic options you run across so you can prioritize a list of options you're interested in. There's also the whole weight-relieved (swiss cheese), chambered and solid debate. You might want to read up on that and check them out if you can. Have fun on the hunt Rash. B)

I'll stick to the topic - LPs. For the money you're talking about, you should be able to get a nice Standard. As far as preferences go, you should visit some shops and play as many different pup combinations as you can, no matter what LP they're in - so you can get an idea of the sound you want. While you're doing this, pay attention to the hardware and electronic options you run across so you can prioritize a list of options you're interested in. There's also the whole weight-relieved (swiss cheese), chambered and solid debate. You might want to read up on that and check them out if you can. Have fun on the hunt Rash. B)

Thanks BigK. I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. As far as the sound goes, I'm looking for that "crunchy" overdrive Metallica thing. Not so much of a "distortion".. but a really punchy, powerful romp! I've done all sorts of heavy rock that translates into acoustic, but now I'm just wanting to have a little more fun. I'll be running it thru a Marshall half-stack. As for options & features (weight?), I'm not so picky right now.

So what do you think about the Studios for starting out? I just didn't want to invest $800 today & learn next week that I should've spent $1500. That's where I'm needing the help & opinions right now.

Here's an example of the sound I'm looking for: (just for you, BigK!)

I apologize to all right now! I know most won't listen past the :30 mark =;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKBOrS46X4

You'll want high output at the bridge -

pickups_output-chart.jpg

If you want to avoid changing stock pups for a hotter version, here's a couple to think about -

The Buckethead Studio has the 496R in the neck and the 500T in the bridge - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-buckethead-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar/h71179000001000

The Silverburst Studio has the 490R neck and 498T bridge - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-silverburst-electric-guitar

I'm a big fan of the Les Paul Studio models -- a little less blinged up, but the same sound.

In the later '90s, they made a Les Paul Studio 'Lite' which had a chambered body thereby cutting down on the weight of the guitar. Nice as Les Pauls are, I've never dealt all that well with the mass of the things, which is why the "Elegant", the Cloud 9 and the Studio Lites were ones I liked.

Fred

Sounds like lots of good advice. I have a studio with 490 & 498 pups and it will rock.

I also have a ES339 with 57classic and classic + and it is real close on the bridge to LP tone plus is very versitile. Try a 339 and play several LPs would be my advice.

For my money a Standard is the way to go. Best bang for the buck lester going, IMO.

The classic pups are nice.

I want a goldtop with bigsby. (not GETTING, wanting! lol) I have too many acoustics I NEED before I go into the LP mode!!

Anybody got a Nick Lucas cheap? [biggrin]

I bought a new Traditional last year, which is almost the old standard. Very nice git! These sell in your range in euros over here in the netherlands, but maybe your pricing is the same in dollars since gibsons are cheaper in their home country.

Also, think of your amp if you're looking for a specific sound.

Sounds like lots of good advice. I have a studio with 490 & 498 pups and it will rock.

I also have a ES339 with 57classic and classic + and it is real close on the bridge to LP tone plus is very versitile. Try a 339 and play several LPs would be my advice.

A 339 is my #1 choice for an electric. Love 'em!!!!

Archived