Gibson Brands Forums

set up question

awel

I would like to know when do you consider your electric guitar is fret buzzing?

Of course unplugged I have the feeling that there is fret buzz, I mean when I am striking hard my string, but plugged it is more difficult to say.

So on an unplugged electric guitar when do you consider that your guitar is fret buzzing?

Thanks

If it sounds like its' buzzing in it's normal configuration, plugged in, turned on, and cranked up to your normal volume, then it's buzzing. If you can't tell, no, it isn't buzzing.

Essentially what you hear in a plugged in and amped guitar is a amplified tone the pick-ups are detecting. If you can't hear buzzing above that don't... dare I say, fret it.

Let me just add that, I received the guitar tuned half step down (Eb), I prefer to have my guitar in standard tuning so I raise the tuning to standard, so perhaps the neck needs a little adjustment.

Did anyone has already pass from Eb to E and could you tell me if with the same string gauges if you have needed a neck adjustment?

If you've tuned down to Eb that could cause buzz. What gauge strings are on it? 10's should be ok to tune down. 9's would be a bit light for it.

I wouldn't have thought a semi-tone would cause the truss rod to need adjustment.

I think you can over worry. Raise the action a touch and try that. If it still buzzes, put a capo on the first fret and press the strings down at the highest fret. Check the level along the frets.

Or take it for a set up.

If you've tuned down to Eb that could cause buzz. What gauge strings are on it? 10's should be ok to tune down. 9's would be a bit light for it.

I wouldn't have thought a semi-tone would cause the truss rod to need adjustment.

I think you can over worry. Raise the action a touch and try that. If it still buzzes, put a capo on the first fret and press the strings down at the highest fret. Check the level along the frets.

Or take it for a set up.

in fact it is the opposite, it was in Eb and I tune it to E :)

the gauges is 9/46.

So to you, a half step (higher or lower) didn't require a neck adjustment?

I like zero. So, all my guitars are setup for no buzz unplugged - I have no problem with a little height in my action if that's what it takes to eliminate buzz. Some of my guitars can go very low without buzz, some can't.

Same here..I cannot stand buzz.... [thumbup]

Stew Mac sells a great "action" gauge, witch has helped me alot when setting up my guitars...

Archived