Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Epiphone Les Paul real or fake?!

IanMak3103

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the sadest thing is BLOWING £100's on what now is most certainly a fake! [unsure]

A waste of my time and ESPECIALLY my money...

Most of My guitars have come from either Dawsons or Guitar Guitar. I guess in this instance I was unlucky with a 2nd hand copy that came in... but it was purchased in my early days here and I guess my inexperience ment I just took it at face value.

Needless to Say THANKS PETE.R for spotting what I didn't [thumbup]

This is the kind of s**t that can only happen on the net... a guy responds to another guys fake tread and gets outed on his own fakey... in fact on closer inspection his avatar is a fake epi... that he's selling on eBay as the thread unwinds... and it's not his first fake??? What's next.

No switcheroo here or anything. I just updated my avatar and sig to relate to current status. (No point advertising a fake right?)

The SG was me being a NOOB (It was my 2nd guitar #-o ) The LPC was bought in good stead with a few guitars bought & sold under my belt. I just didn't see any signs of it been fake.

The only points that raised suspection and only recently! was the Binding and serial pointed out in this topic. (Has been featured in 3-4 other topics on here before)

Out of all this I found out one of my most INVESTED instruments was a fraud! its shame this all came AFTER all the mods had been made...

Update: I must have mistaken the type of purhase I made back then, as it's been made clear they where not produced past mid 2008 so it can't have been a 1st hand copy I precuded...

Judging by the time-line, the guitar was listed very close to the time that Pete started raising issues of it's authenticity and not withdrawn until Mike exposed the eBay listing here, that's a slam dunk in my books. I was prepared to support you in your new start Snakey, but I don't think I can do that anymore, this is BAD, I'm extremely disappointed.

BTW: That was a brilliant video Pete, and very appropriate.

That is a sooo wrong control cavity, even my columbus LP copy is far more original!

I left it on ebay because I was awaiting official confirmation (Still was unsure if it was a fake or not),

their was no bad intentions

James Edward:

Thanks for confirming the wood type here.

Like I said MDF is MDF it can't replace a genuine wooden body

Rastus:

Yes I'm dissapointed in myself too I should have dropped it earlier but I kept getting that "What if" thing nagging me not to pull it off...

mgrmatt:

Yes it did, unless you took off the covers or were an epi expert I guess its hard to tell...

Its been seen by alot of people while I've been modding it and no one told me it might be a copy.

I left it on ebay because I was awaiting official confirmation (Still was unsure if it was a fake or not),

Rastus:

Yes I'm dissapointed in myself too I should have dropped it earlier but I kept getting that "What if" thing nagging me not to pull it off...

Snakey,

I know that this must have been a major blow for you (I would be seriously p!$$ed off if it had happened to me!), but you should have probably never even put that eBay listing up, & IMO you should have CERTAINLY taken it down at least 24 hours earlier than you did!

It is issues like this that cause guys like IanMak all their problems.

Kinda ironic that you were 'first responder' to his concerns!

Maybe there were no bad intentions but I'm sorry thats bad judgment. The absoloute second there was any kind of an authenticity issue yhe auction should have ended. If you could please answer one other question, Did Dawsons sell it to you as new or used?

when I wanna buy something described as new - I don't want it to be resoldered from a guitar

I'm glad I don't have to buy anything described new from you....

It just is not right to make your own rules for describing used parts

Most are listed used and some are listed new those in new condition are strap loks, tuners and stopbar so not alot really

all with descriptions of any wear & tear

Well, good luck on your sale.

By the way, did you notice that the same pickups that you are selling used are actually cheaper new?

At least in Thomann they are!

As you are asking 75 GBP for used pickups vs. 66 GBP new from Thomann... mmmmmm that's a bit of a no brainer...

Good luck anyway...

Does EBAY have a feature that can tell when the item was first listed?

A very astute question Mt Stein...

Snakey: I know your last update to the advertisement on eBay was on 25 Aug, 2011 13:34, but when exactly did you list your guitar for sale???

Archived