Gibson Brands Forums

Your Mission if You Wish To Accept It

clarkuss

-Buy This: The Sturgis Buffalo Chip 2011 Coronet

They've been hinting at a proper Coronet reissue for a while now and along with the Wilshire, surely it can't be too far away?

I hope you are right. What you (?) are holding in your hand is the exact same model I owned in high school. I used it during this concert I played in way back when . . . Ill never tell [biggrin]

Guitar12-01.jpg

Here's a close up. Mine had the tremolo arm . . . pardon me, whammy bar.

Guitar02-01.jpg

Never owned, or even held a real Coronet in my life. The picture was a grab from google images of what I'd like to own.

Although a conversion from this one might be a nightmare with the screwed on logo and who knows what's underneath? Probably a Wilshire body!!

I have had my hands on a few 60s Wilshires, Crestwoods and Olympics but never the elusive Coronet. I've wanted one for about 9 years but the vintage prices just keep going up and up. Especially on the silverfox finish. I used to own a 70s ET-278 in black/white which was nicde but got sold down to lack of use.

I'm hoping they'll do a high end RI like with the Wilshire with a Chinese RI to follow.

EDIT: Great pics by the way!! Have you still got it??

I remember not too long ago Epiphone posted a news item about the silver fox finish saying that they knew how to recreate it or something like that. With the success of the Wilshire, I'd be surprised if they didn't reissue more old school models like the Coronet. I'm only speculating but I'd guess they'd probably put the high end finishes on a USA reissue and then maybe do a Chinese one in worn finishes like the Wilshire? I'd definitely take a 64 style worn black coronet with single chrome/nickel p-90.

Edit: Epiphone Article RE Silver Fox Coronet

"A white grain filler was used and then covered in a “green-ish” clear back in ’64 to get this desired effect… and is quite difficult to reproduce today. But we have the guy who can do it! (hint, hint)"

I'd definitely take a 64 style worn black coronet with single chrome/nickel p-90.

I'm on board with you there! It would be so easy for 'em to do I don't know why they haven't yet. It's a total parts bin job.

I was just looking at that!! Wouldn't mind that at all! I saw another promo Coronet on ebay.com with the screwed down sig/logo thing they've got going on. I wonder what's under the hood. Too much of a risk in case there's a big gouge where the Wilshire controls go...

Some sort of Coronet creation is going to the top of my list of non-beatle guitar to acquire. Maybe buy a wilshire and get someone to cut a new body for it and fuse them together.... ? Or fill in the wilshire and refinish in a black gloss would be a better option actually. Thinking "out loud" here...

Archived