Gibson Brands Forums

tobaccoburst help :)

notlimhxcx

Nitro is/was illegal to spray in Japan, so they substituted with lacquer on the LQ series. If it doesnt look quite like nitro or poly, then its probably lacquer. It also yellows quite a bit as lacquer does.

RTH, I was under the impression that when the word 'laquer' is used in relation to guitars it means Nitrocellulose, with 'poly' referring to polyester and polyurethane. I hadn't heard about nitro being illegal to use in Japan, as lots of MIJ guitars have (and still do, I believe) come with nitro finishes; top of the range Fender Japan, Squier, Burny, Tokai to name a few.

This post was checked by AVG anti-bold software and no bold was found.

RTH, I was under the impression that when the word 'laquer' is used in relation to guitars it means Nitrocellulose, with 'poly' referring to polyester and polyurethane. I hadn't heard about nitro being illegal to use in Japan, as lots of MIJ guitars have (and still do, I believe) come with nitro finishes; top of the range Fender Japan, Squier, Burny, Tokai to name a few.

I was just looking at last years Tokai catalog to confirm that, but I'm afraid that the top-of-the-line LP look-a-like Tokai LS540 has lacquer finish.

In the catalog in question, I failed to see one guitar that had a Nitro finish.

But, on the other hand, Nitrocellulose Lacquer is what is used by Gibson.

So... I don't know...

I was just looking at last years Tokai catalog to confirm that, but I'm afraid that the top-of-the-line LP look-a-like Tokai LS540 has lacquer finish.

In the catalog in question, I failed to see one guitar that had a Nitro finish.

But, on the other hand, Nitrocellulose Lacquer is what is used by Gibson.

So... I don't know...

I'm not sure if it the case now, but I had read that it was illegal at some point and the LQ was some typeof catalized lacquer minus the nitrocellulous. I really dont know much about it.

Nitrocellulose is a lacquer, and there are polyester lacquers too, so we should always specify Poly(ester)/Poly(urethane), Acrylic, or Nitro.

Also, OP's guitar just screams early 90's to me. Granted I know more about Elitists than I do about the Japan Domestic stuff, but I'd bet money it's a '92, not an '82. Something about it just doesn't look '05-'06 to me... :-k

"WHAT? [scared] I'm only 41. I'm in my prime!

/feels old."

hahahaha, i know you're aware of what i meant RTH but for the record, i used the word seniors pertaining to post counts and the tenure of your stay here. BTW the 4 page thread on the other forum was deleted. make you think ha? thanks evryone!

"It would have been deleted with GOOD reason, so I suspect we are dealing with a model that has alot of ab normal features and as such has a HIGH chance of being fake.

It may be legit but theirs FAR to much against it... "

LIKE! :)

The Neck type, age, origin of manufacture, wood type and finish, from whats been posted to date...

Nitrocellulose is a lacquer, and there are polyester lacquers too, so we should always specify Poly(ester)/Poly(urethane), Acrylic, or Nitro.

And Catylized Lacquer, which (from what I understand) has very little nitrocellulose in it and is what I have read that the LQ series was finished with.

Thanks Stijn !

Now it is official that it isn't 82 made

Finally we can put this one to bed.

RTH, Thanks for the finish lesson. All of these years I've know the diff between Poly and Lacquer, I guess not between Lacquer and Lacquer.

It looks to me also like it's one of the Limited edition series with nitro lacquer that was done when Yamano was still the distributor for Japan. You can find more information here:

http://somara.com/guitars/item/13381

Kind regards,

Stijn

So would that be the LQ series or no? The LQs were made in 2005-2006. If this is older it must be something different.

Finally we can put this one to bed.

RTH, Thanks for the finish lesson. All of these years I've know the diff between Poly and Lacquer, I guess not between Lacquer and Lacquer.

I really know nothing of lacquers. The real question is how many times can I misspell "catalyzed"?

now the only remaining question is that darn bolt on the tenon..

thanks again!

My guess is that its not an LQ, but one of the first LP runs - and Matsu/Epi used Aria's old tooling for the necks. Aria couldnt legally use it anymore because of the headstock. It only makes sense that they would sell it to Epi for the first run of Japanese open-book style Les Pauls. Epiphone Japan probably retooled the tenon to a short tenon within a couple of years. It sure makes a hell of a lot more sense than running around claiming that there are unauthorized Epiphone LPs from the early 1980's in abundance in Japan. If you think about it, why would Epi Japan put the Epiphone name on an LP that didnt actually exist yet and then mass produce them? It seems like a really big risk to me. And the fact that the Japanese Epi LP serials match the Aria serials means nothing. You cant date an Epiphone from an Aria serial. Just because Aria's serials started with a certain number in the 1980's doesnt mean that Epiphone followed the same system. Furthermore, Epiphone/Gibson recycled serial numbers in the 1960's on several models. Whos to say they didnt do the same thing during the Japan years.

This whole debate reminds me of the Genesis conspiracy where some fanboy claims that they were made in Japan for the first year, when they were clearly all made in Tawain. He shows no proof, yet does everything possible to propegate the rumor...and people buy in to it. The fact is that some people love their Epiphones so much, they will do anything to fool themselves and others in to thinking that they are worth more than they actually are. Epiphones are great guitars, but there are just some pedestals that they dont belong on.

If anyone wants a "Real" nitro finish on your guitar, here's how to do it.

Get a container (glass or polyprop) large enough to hold the guitar, and put it somewhere cold, very cold, like a walk in freezer. Mix enough Conc Nitric acid (HNO3)and Conc Sulphuric acid (H2SO4) to cover the guitar in a 30/70 ratio. Pour over guitar till immersed making sure the extractor is on. With this amount of wood to nitrate I would guess, leave it for at least 12 hrs, probably a lot more. Remove it carefully with tongs and put it in a fast flowing stream for 48 hrs.

Refill your container with bicarb (sodium hydrogen carbonate (NaHCO3)) saturated solution, and put it in there agitating it till it stops fizzing. Take it back the stream for the same amount of time. Now you can let it dry naturally.

Now your guitar will have a Nitro finish, umm, it will actually be nitrocellulose. WARNING do not expose it to naked flames, your guitar is actually an explosive substance!! [scared][flapper][thumbup]

Archived