Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading an Epiphone

refuogee

Hi Guys,

I was wanting to maybe take an Epiphone SG or Les Paul depending on what I want aesthetically

and then putting in some badass pickups like Gibson '57s or Angus Young Humbuckers.

I'm going for a classic rock sound, blues etc but what i want to know is will it sound awesome?

I mean obviously the difference between an Epiphone and Gibson is not just the pickups

but due to money and geographical contraints im keen to try this approach.

Also what else should be upgraded? Tuners? Electronics?

Thank you for any of your time.

I was wanting to maybe take an Epiphone SG or Les Paul depending on what I want aesthetically

and then putting in some badass pickups like Gibson '57s or Angus Young Humbuckers.

I'm going for a classic rock sound, blues etc but what i want to know is will it sound awesome?

hi!

i have both a Gibson SG standard and an Epiphone G 400. originally, the gisbosn is of course the superior guitar in terms of sustain and sound. after upgrading the G 400 with P-94, the guitar is really great and does compete with the Gibby in terms of sound...

yours

wolfi

hi!

i have both a Gibson SG standard and an Epiphone G 400. originally, the gisbosn is of course the superior guitar in terms of sustain and sound. after upgrading the G 400 with P-94, the guitar is really great and does compete with the Gibby in terms of sound...

yours

wolfi

Thank you so much, that is so good to hear but upon posting this on other forums and getting some feedback im going to look into getting a Tokai replica!!

Thank you so much, that is so good to hear but upon posting this on other forums and getting some feedback im going to look into getting a Tokai replica!!

Why don't you get a real Tokai, bloody good guitars.

But if you do get a good tokai (pre 1984 that is) for sure it'll cost more than a new Epi with upgrades, and unless you personally know what you're doing set-up wise (or have cash to spend), the epi will play and sound better.

This.

Pickups = 15%

Amp = 80%

Everything else = 5%

Not saying that pickups all sound similar or something, but amps have EQ knobs for a reason. [thumbup]

I'd say.....

Fingers = 70%

Any valve amp + effects and settings = 20%

Pickups = 10%

I'd say.....

Fingers = 70%

Any valve amp + effects and settings = 20%

Pickups = 10%

Changing your play style isn't going to make an Epiphone sound like a Gibson. [tongue] Sure it'll make you sound like you no matter what you play, but in terms of raw tone... [thumbup]

heres a recipe for a good sound.

epi les paul, dearmond dynasonics, fender twin reverb .

i would have suggested a gretsch pro jet instead of the les paul... but you seem to want an epiphone.

i have this same setup but the pickups are in a pro jet.

the sound is amazing...just sayin.

Consensus seems to be that the amp is more important than the pickups; I agree. The standard Epi alnico 2 pickups will get you into the right territory with a good tube/valve amp.

I have an amazing amp, just recently purchased myself an AFD 100 paired with a Fender 2x12 with Vintage 30s in it, it sounds like pure sex

and my guitar sounds awesome through it, i am currently playing an Epiphone Zakk Wylde custom with passive EMG 81s in,

and while it sounds good it has quite a harsh/sterile/very cutting sounds to it and i want a more warm, smooth, tone out of my guitar..

Welcome to the forum! Pics are always appreciated.

but due to money and geographical contraints im keen to try this approach.

Where do you live? Have you ever tried GFS pickups?

I have an amazing amp,

OK, so we are moving beyond the amp part of the equation.

CTS and Switchcraft are good for electronics. Personally, I like vintage braided wire and PIO caps.

I am also a proponent of 50's wiring. I like dependent but others like independent.

Pickups are personal taste. Gibson 57's are good for a PAF type sound. I think the new ones are available with 4 lead conductors in case you want to go with push/pull configuration. Many of the GFS also have 4 conductor leads.

Willy

Archived