Gibson Brands Forums

set up question

parham112

I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to serious guitar playing. I just got a Epi 63 Firebird VII reissue a few days ago, which is my first good electric guitar.

I've looked around on here some and seen people talking about having their guitars "professionally set up" and was wondering if anyone could tell me what all is involved in that set up? Around how expensive is it? etc etc.

Thanks

Parham,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the guitar....Pics are a must.

Plenty of info in the DIY at the top of the Epiphone Lounge.

Just to get you started here's some basic info.

How involved is a basic setup?...

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%20Adjustment

(Brad beat me to it!) LOL

Nut setup if needed.....

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/String_action_and_setup/i-1811.html

Coast with new guitar?....Free to $80 depending on where you take it and what needs to be done.(Some stores will do a basic setup for little or nothing if the adjustments are minor and you bought the guitar there.)

If, after all is set up the way you like it.....there is any slight fret buzz then minor fret dressing may be needed in a spot or two.

Doesn't hurt to take it to a pro the first time, especially if you can watch and learn.

After that, invest in a couple of basic tools. Screwdriver, engineers ruler with metric and imperial scales and a set of feeler gauges is a good start.

All things considered it is worth learning to do it your self as most guitars need minor attention with the changing seasons.

Willy

Here she is. (If the picture works) I'm really digging it so far. It's a big change from the Squier Strat I learned on. Any tips on getting a good sound with it? Like I said before, I'm a noob with electric guitars so be patient with me! haha

post-35485-041838700 1314640540_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums....

It may be worth mentioning that a set-up is only necessary if the guitar is not playing well or sounding good

Many guitars are sold in excellent playing condition and do not require a set-up until some time, even years after...

Firebirds are well cool....

V

:-({|=

Welcome to the forums....

It may be worth mentioning that a set-up is only necessary if the guitar is not playing well or sounding good

Many guitars are sold in excellent playing condition and do not require a set-up until some time, even years after...

Firebirds are well cool....

V

:-({|=

Thanks. You read my mind, I was just wondering how necessary a set up was. I know that the guy I bought it from didn't play it much. So I wasn't sure if it might need to be set up again because it had been sitting in the case for so long. Thanks again for the quick replies!

Welcome to the forum. Let me be the second to say that the best book is called "Guitar Players Guide to Repair" by Dan Erliwine.

There is a wealth of knowledge in that book, but you do have to have a mechanical aptitude, and some basic tools.

If you want to do setups for real, the layout for tools can be a big one.

id suggest you buy dan earleywines book. tells you how to do setups. there not difficult if you know what to do . the book is 29 bucks and theres alot more init than just that. the investment is small but will save you a bundle over the years.

http://www.danerlewine.com/guitar_repair_books.html

A great book for the beginer through advanced. There are alot of great techs out there but you'll find with some you pay $40 plus buck and still have to tinker with it when you get home. There is alot of great diy stuff out there ( this board , youtube) .

Welcome to the forum. Let me be the second to say that the best book is called "Guitar Players Guide to Repair" by Dan Erliwine.

There is a wealth of knowledge in that book, but you do have to have a mechanical aptitude, and some basic tools.

If you want to do setups for real, the layout for tools can be a big one.

I'm definitely going to have to get that book. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I still think I would rather let a pro do it first so I can watch. I don't want to mess up and have it start sounding bad. haha

Archived