Gibson Brands Forums

What is "Pattern-Grade" Rosewood?

Jack6849

Gibson's description of my recently-purchased "J-45 Custom" indicates that the guitar's sides and back are built from "Pattern-Grade" Rosewood. Anyone seen that terminology used before? What does it mean?

I figured it might mean Rosewood selected for an attractive-looking grain pattern... but does the term "Pattern-Grade" have any implications for tone?

I don't know that this is a descriptor I've ever seen used with guitars. Maybe it's a recent creation of Gibson's "marketing department".

Any answers or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack6849

Generally, "pattern grade" means free of defects such as knots, checks, sap pockets, cross grain, or anything else that would make for a dimensionally unstable or difficult-to-work piece of wood. With most species it usually means clear, straight-grained wood incorporating the desirable characteristics of that particular wood species.

When you use a piece of wood for a pattern or template, you expect it to remain stable over time so that parts generated from it are as dimensionally-similar as possible.

I think "Pattern grade" as applied to Rosewood is a marketing buzz word. At most it could mean that the grain is very defined between light and dark areas, showcasing the 'ideal' rosewood shading, whatever that is.

I have a Yamaha with a Indian rosewood fretboard. The wood's grain is ... eh. not so much. [bored] The bridge on my FT145SB is said to be rosewood. The grain is nicely figured, but it's coloration is, ... eh. [bored]

But, then again neither sold for much more than $200.00 new.

"Pattern grade" is a lumber yard term that indicates what previous posts have said - clear straight-grained, but does not necessarily mean 1/4-sawn, which is the ideal for any guitar wood. 1/4-sawn has the most even grain and consistant strength throughout the piece which does mean better "sounding" tone wood. Pattern grade is not really an applicable term when describing tone wood.

Archived