Gibson Brands Forums

Best 1x12 Tube amp???

onewilyfool

Hi....I'm in a quandry, I've got some great electric guitars, but have not found an amp that I like. I play mostly at home, so the amp should be in the 15-30 watt range, tube, and with a great clean and dirty sound WITHOUT pedals. Pedals for effect and boost can be added later. I'm intrigued by some amps that have multiple power levels, (like 8 to 15 to 30 watts) for recording and playing live. I would appreciate any input from you guys who have played good amps or own them and any advice you can give me....thanks.....Wily

I have several amps, and now own a Fender Hot Rod Blues Jr NOS. It has a handsome tweed cover and a Jensen speaker; I traded out the stock reverb tank for a Ruby Reverb and installed a Weber Beam Blocker.

It's all tube (printed circuit board, like all, other than boutique, are these days -- although I had my '63 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve in the shop this week, and the tech made me come into his work area to admire the point-to-point wiring =sigh= for the good ol' days), lightweight, and has flexible controls. It doesn't sound as good as my Jazzmaster Ultralight, but it's half the price.

I quite like it with humbucker-equipped guitars: it adds a chimey sound to darker ones. It didn't like my Epi Sheraton II with Seymour Duncans (a bright guitar) but my ES-335 gets along fine. If you're looking for an amp on the warm side, I'd get something else, but I've got other amps that do that, as for example the Twin Twelve I mentioned.

It has a volume and master, which translate to gain and volume (in my vocabulary) and jprovides a nice distortion. I haven't tried any pedals with it, but all I usually hook up is a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus for the wah and tremolo, so maybe I'm no judge. But I go for a great sound without pedals, and this little guy will produce.

Princeton re issue 65, Carr vincent, rivera, Fender Champ, Mesa 5:15 combos, fender 65 deluxe . So many . If your near a big city or in one, try them all. Are you a volume roller or not. I use my volume a lot for the cleaner sounds. I have found the twin to be my best choice. I like a full rich clean. I use a o/d pedal, wanted to do it w/o pedals but in a band situation it's best(for me) to use a pedal, so I get all i want. I found the compromise for the nice overdrive I give up the clean. So I went for the Twin, although this may not work for you.

Hi....I'm in a quandry' date=' I've got some great electric guitars, but have not found an amp that I like. I play mostly at home, so the amp should be in the 15-30 watt range, tube, and with a great clean and dirty sound WITHOUT pedals. Pedals for effect and boost can be added later. I'm intrigued by some amps that have multiple power levels, (like 8 to 15 to 30 watts) for recording and playing live. I would appreciate any input from you guys who have played good amps or own them and any advice you can give me....thanks.....Wily[/quote']

The best would IMHO would be the Fender Deluxe Reverb... It's very expensive $800+... But you asked for the best....

I have a Traynor YCS50 that I use at bedroom levels. The amp is switchable between 50W Class AB or 15W class A. It is equipped with a Master volume so you can dial in enough gain to overdrive it without blowing your ears out. The Master volume does not go from 0 - "blow your walls down" at 4. There are two channels switched by pedal and even a boost on the lead channel. The speaker is a 12" Celestion Vintage30, and this amp has more flexibility in dialing tones than you can imagine...or probably use! The tubes are auto-biased and you can move from the 5881's that come with it over to EL34's without the need for a tech. I have a Strat, Telecaster, P90 equipped Washburn, Les Paul, and and ES 335...and they all sound fantastic in this amp. You really should check out the web site but honestly find one and play through it and I think you'll be happy.

The best would IMHO would be the Fender Deluxe Reverb... It's very expensive $800+... But you asked for the best....

I played one before I bought the BJ. I already have a warm sounding amp' date=' and I wanted chime. Otherwise the DR is a g great amp.

Here's a pic with the Epi I'm selling (replaced with a 335).

[img']http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p362/lpdeluxe1/FenderBluesJr.jpg?t=1223588977[/img]

My live rig is a Mesa Blue Angel 1;12 combo. But it has no dirty channel, I use a tube screamer TS9 and can drop it down to 15 watts (2;6V6's Class A) crank it, and get as dirty as anyone. However they are getting hard to find.

Next choice would be the Mesa Lonestar Special.

One thing. Mesa's are built like a tank, but they ain't cheap.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I have a DR. Z Maz 18. It's an 18 watt, single channel master volume amp. The sound is somewhere between Marshall and Vox. The master volume allows you to turn the volume up to desired level of dirt, then turn down the master to desired volume level. It won't do heavy distortion though. For that you would need a pedal. It's expensive but the sound is worth it IMHO. Fortunately I live close enough to a dealer that I was able to try it out first. Once I heard it the choice was easy.

Don

I have a few amps - all relatively small tube amps. ( Traynor 40 watt, Fender Blues Junior 15 Watt, Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 25 Watt 12 inch, Fender Pro Reverb 25 watt) All are really good but I prefer the Mesa as the best that I've got.

However it really does depend on the style of music you play and how loud. I don't play particularly loudly these days. When you play a bit more loudly the Fenders are great. My suggestion is that you match the amp to your actual playing needs and Mesa's and Fenders are all good. AlanC.

Guys...great suggestions......I'm going to do my research.....

I have heard that Blues Jr.'s have some issues with the reverb?????

I have heard that the Mesa's have some overheating problems and HUMMMMMMM loudly????????

Ok....on to harmony central.....then on the the stores.....lol....thanks again for all the ideas. I feel it is best to talk to the players who actually PLAY these amps for the best reviews....keep pluckin guys!!!

By the way, have you guys ever tried the PEAVEY Delta Blues Tweed 115???

My BJ didn't have "issues" other than the reverb was a little dull. I replaced it with a Ruby Reverb (about $32 + shipping). You remove the four mounting screws and the leads, lift out the Accutronics tank, drop in the Ruby, replace the screws and leads, and you've got an excellent sounding reverb.

I have 9 amps, blues junior, super reverb, twin reverb, gibson goldtone head, ax2, budda 18, hot rod deluxe 4X10, old gibson G6A, and a mesa boogie mark IV, i guess that makes 10, anyway this goes beyond the 10 15 watt, multiple/changeable power you asked about. i bought these amps like most of us for a particular band, or tone we thought we would find etc. if i had to have only one amp that would cover my needs it would be the mesa boogie mark IV.

It has 85 watts with way too many options to discuss, but the beauty of it is that you can play jazz (lee rit) uses one fairly regularly, to blues, rock etc., make it sustain for days. you can change the tube configuration from 4 6L6's to, 2 6L6's and 2 EL 34's, simultaneously or 4 6V6's, and select tweed power (reduced) or full power, all without any bias adjustments. Basically a three channel amp, clean (clean w/EQ), channel 2 fatten or put a little hair on it and add EQ, channel 3 the lead dial in the overdrive or sustain all you want again add EQ. the EQ is separate for each channel, you adjust the EQ to your desire, but basically it fattens it up/ highs/lows and can increase the volume a little.

I only mention this because this amp sounds great and can be used for all genres of music and size clubs. The other amps all can fill a niche but for me the mark IV ( i have had this about 5 years) does it all well.

And i think this can go from practice amp to any venue, all with one amp. this amp has been completely reliable, and since i change the tube configuration a few times each year, i have been using the original power and pre tubes since it was new. as far as any heating situation, tube amps get hot, my super reverb and twin will fry eggs. but i generally run a small fan behind the amps. the mark Iv has a built in fan, but i also run a small fan behind this amp.

So if i knew about this amp long ago, i think it came out in the 80's (first iteration of it mark IIb or something) I could have saved and not needed so many amps.

peace

Archived