Gibson Brands Forums

G400 pickup upgrade

atj13

Having gone away from the p94 idea, quite like the idea of SD 59's and Pearly Gates pups and maybe coil splitting (with a push-push switch if available) have seen some clips on the tube and they sound pretty good, the zebra pearly gates look great also,opinions would be appreciated,

thanks,

I have a Pearly Gates in the neck and an SH-4 JB in the bridge of my G-400 and would never consider changing them. When I think of the number of friends who have offered to buy my SG, I think it's a great set.

How do you find the clean tones with that combination?

How do you find the clean tones with that combination?

The cleans are great. The Pearly Gates is really responsive to the tone control and I find you can get a great variety of tone out of it and the sustain is fantastic. The JB is a pretty hot pup and I find they compliment each other well. I was actually thinking of putting a SD Hot Rodded set in my LP Standard when I came across the SG for sale with these pups already installed so I jumped on it and have never regretted it. I have a Peavey Vypyr and it seems to love the SG because everything just sounds great together. There is a world of difference between the stock pups in my LP and the SG setup. I really have no complaints with the LP because playing at home I really don't get to the point volume and gain wise where things get too muddy, but at the same volumes and settings the SG just sounds more alive. I can't think of a better way to explain it. From very clean to ACDC to a friend playing metal on her, I haven't found any sound I can't get out of the combination yet.

I was thinking of installing a coil split but I'm so happy with the sound I'm getting now that i don't want to mess with it. Maybe I'll still pick up that hotrodded set for the Standard and install a push pull and experiment with that guitar instead.

The cleans are great. The Pearly Gates is really responsive to the tone control and I find you can get a great variety of tone out of it and the sustain is fantastic. The JB is a pretty hot pup and I find they compliment each other well. I was actually thinking of putting a SD Hot Rodded set in my LP Standard when I came across the SG for sale with these pups already installed so I jumped on it and have never regretted it. I have a Peavey Vypyr and it seems to love the SG because everything just sounds great together. There is a world of difference between the stock pups in my LP and the SG setup. I really have no complaints with the LP because playing at home I really don't get to the point volume and gain wise where things get too muddy, but at the same volumes and settings the SG just sounds more alive. I can't think of a better way to explain it. From very clean to ACDC to a friend playing metal on her, I haven't found any sound I can't get out of the combination yet.

I was thinking of installing a coil split but I'm so happy with the sound I'm getting now that i don't want to mess with it. Maybe I'll still pick up that hotrodded set for the Standard and install a push pull and experiment with that guitar instead.

I see a guy on utube installed coil splitting in a gibson sg special and it sounds amazing.

I bought one of those white SG's from MF loaded with active EMG pickups an 85 and 81 these things just rip it up and even a decent clean tone.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-g-400-electric-guitar-with-emg-pickups/519397000026000

Ok I wouldnt want all my guitars with active pickups but this is the 3rd time I have had these kind of pickups once in a Gothic Gibson explorer and once in a 95 Gibson LP STD.You also should look at the Gibson dirty fingers too for your SG.

I had Dirty Fingers in bridge and SD Jazz in neck, both coil split. Even without the coil split that was a crazy versatile pup combo. If budget is an issue, I'd go with a SD Custom 5 in the bridge and Jazz in neck. I traded the SG that had the Jazz/DF combo in it, and I miss the tone, but not the guitar. Decided I'm not a fan of the neck dive of SG, but that was an amazing tone combo. Custom 5 would be a good replacement, and it plays really nice with the Jazz.

Archived