Gibson Brands Forums

John Lee Hooker 50th Anniversary Sheraton

DrGMatic

I'm wondering if any of you good folks can educate me on the history, quality, availability and value of a John Lee Hooker 50th Anniversary Epiphone Sheraton.

If you've located one to consider for purchase, it would be important to provide some pictures. There are two very different Epiphone models using the JLH moniker:

One is the highly regarded "Assembled in USA" JLH Sheraton I or II. Version one has a Frequensator tailpiece, version two has a stopbar tailpiece. These were made in Japan by the Terada factory and then shipped to the USA for final assembly with Gibson pickups & hardware.

The other JLH branded Sheraton is a Korean made version which is very similar to the generic Sheraton II that has been manufactured for many years in Korean and now China. It's value is much less than the AIUSA version, and sellers frequently ask an inflated price for it.

Check out this Sheri, signed by the Man himself.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/2583803220.html

Well, it's the same generic Korean Sheraton II ($600 new, $450 used), with JLH's name scribbled on the front. How much more that signature is worth is debateable. Personally, I'd rather have it signed on the back where it would be less visible.

On the other hand the USA models are sweeet!!! Two of the nicest epiphones I've ever seen. They did an Elite Sheraton as well that was gorgeous

Yes indeed. It was my intent in post #2 to point out the high quality of the AIUSA JLH models (vs the Korean JLH). The Elitist Sheraton is also extremely well made, coming out of the same Terada factory in Japan.

On the other hand the USA models are sweeet!!! Two of the nicest epiphones I've ever seen. They did an Elite Sheraton as well that was gorgeous

Isn't it CB who has one of those? With stop-bar instead of frequensator, IMO I think it probably the hottest guitar on the forum…

Thanks, Y'all.

No, I have one. It's un-played, Limited Edition, #49 of 50 and it seems like it would be better served to be in the hands of someone who got some enjoyment out of it. It's got John Lee's signature on the internal serial number label and he signed it on the front as well. It has the standard bridge so it may be thepost-35691-092503500 1315772551_thumb.jpg Korean model but it seems like there's a fan or a collector somewhere who would like to have a unique instrument.

Cheers,

K

If you've located one to consider for purchase, it would be important to provide some pictures. There are two very different Epiphone models using the JLH moniker:

One is the highly regarded "Assembled in USA" JLH Sheraton I or II. Version one has a Frequensator tailpiece, version two has a stopbar tailpiece. These were made in Japan by the Terada factory and then shipped to the USA for final assembly with Gibson pickups & hardware.

The other JLH branded Sheraton is a Korean made version which is very similar to the generic Sheraton II that has been manufactured for many years in Korean and now China. It's value is much less than the AIUSA version, and sellers frequently ask an inflated price for it.

• 8 years later...

Hi, I have a John Lee Hooker Sheraton Anniversary model, number 12 of 50. I picked it up almost 20 years ago, it came with upgraded pick ups, Gibson 57 Classics. The original case with "shroud" or whatever that fabric is called. Plays sweet, sounds great. But now I'm that much older and have decided to downsize my collection. If anybody would be interested in buying that or one of my other guitars, e-mail me a pjcalaf@gmail.com. I don't even know if I can post that on here but thought I would give it a shot.