Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Question?

MikeDalton24

Hey guys, first time visitor here. I need some help with an old SG I used to own. My question is:

Did they ever make Epiphone SG's from one solid piece of wood? I may not be asking this correctly, so let me explain a little more. I know with alot of guitars the neck is mounted to the body in a variety of ways. With the SG, did they ever make any where they were one solid piece of wood? I really appreciate the help guys.

-Mike

Hi MD and welcome to the forums.

From what I can gather from the OP, you're trying to describe what is commonly called a neck-thru construction, a neck that is an extension of the same lump of wood the body is made of, virtually making the whole thing one piece. To my knowledge Epi has never made an SG using this construction method. hopefully others more experienced could offer more insight on Epi's use of this type of construction.

Epiphone has used neck-thru construction on a (small) variety of guitars, but not the SG, as Rob pointed out. Also, typically a neck-thru guitar isnt just one chunk of wood. The body, or wings, are glued to the body area of the neck-thru. Guitars made from one chunk of wood, body, neck and head, are few and far between and very expensive.

Archived