Gibson Brands Forums

fave guitarist when you started playing?

S t e v e

It has been said that people hearing Charlie Christian for the first time mistook his sound for a sax

Probably due to unfamiliarity with the electric guitar in general, and not expecting a guitar to be capable of lead lines

My first aural memories are of Paul Desmond playing smooth ethereal lines with Dave Brubeck

IMX there is a tendency to over-listen to great pop tunes at the time of release

So hearing them on the radio once every blue moon is sufficient to refresh the original joy....

V

:-({|=

I haven't got a guitarist that I have gone off, but I did used to love Mozart when I was about 13/14 and collected every piece he had written and loved it. Now, with a couple of exceptions I cannot stand his music -I find it very predictable and sometimes even annoying LMAO

Matt

Johnny Winter! My first good guitar was an original reverse body cardinal red Firebird V. I wish I still had that guitar. Once I noticed that Johnny Winter played a Firebird, I started buying his albums and learning his licks. Other major guitar player influences I had when I started playing were Eric Clapton w Cream, Jimi Hendrix and Phil Keaggy w Glass Harp.

The guitarists who were my favourites when I started playing are still at the top on my list and always will be because it was them who drew me to guitar and to whom I 'll always be indebted That is of course John Lennon and George Harrison. I can't see how anyone could just drop a huge influence from their list unless the influence of course was a poseur who wasn't as good as he was professed to be.

Yure right...

A sax has different dynamics and attack than a guitar with lotza "fuzz" stuff on it, and I enjoy hearing a good sax player playing sax.

A fuzzed guitar tone - which seemed to me when it first came out was an intent to emulate the sax by a guitar band - isn't my schtick. If I were younger it probably would be, at least to an extent.

There are so many people who play different kinds of guitar and make them sound like wonderful guitar music that... that's where my head is.

m

This is interesting. I get where you are coming from and agree with you for the most part, but I find in my own playing I behave just the opposite. So, it makes me question how I view it.

Not that my Jazz playing is anything I consider worthwhile, but when I do I find myself having a desire to play horn lines. Particularly Nat Adderly or Cannonball. Miles Davis also plays some sweet lines I just can't resist wanting to play.

Going into the electric blues playing, I am attracted to the expression that can be done playing flat out bold vocal type things. Like Clapton does. Sounds very "guitar" like. But, I find a LOT of inspiration from the way horn players play. It is like a combination of notes that fit that are easily played on the guitar, but perhaps aren't thought of to play.

Every instrument lends itself to playing certain things-partly from technique required and partly from the tone or timbre. Having never played a horn (successfully) I often wonder how and why certain horn players choose their notes. Is it the fingering that lends to it, or is it purely musical reasons? For example, Miles Davis created his "sound" and style by attempting to play the trumpet in a different way than other trumpet players were doing. Sometimes, technique/timbre follows the music in the head.

Archived