Gibson Brands Forums

Another new SG Bass

69tele

Well I thought I wasnt going get it for the weekend and when I got home at 630 there was an email from where i shipped it to that it had arrived.

so drop off the wife and kids and turn back to collect..it and here it is ...

VERY different to play compared to Fenders or similiar basses that i've been used too, very punchy and deep sounding.

nearly had a heart attack as at first it rattled but turned out just to be a loose pup cover

sg1.jpg

well been playing and loving the bass this weekend .. here are some thoughts..when compared to my other gibson guitars.

1: the case interior plush is now white and has no shroud. (shroud was a nice touch)

2: no lock on the case, which in a way is good as I once had one jam on me and had to prise it open at a gig.

3: the varnish on the top edge of the fretboard is slightly off, as its not totally smooth but not a deal breaker to risk sending it back and get one that plays badly

4: the string windings going over the saddle on the bridge issue does seem to be a problem for me, might be with thicker strings, but no issues with the stock ones.

going to install strap locks and get a nice suede strap with a rough back to avoid the SG neck dive.

all for now!

Congrats on the new bass! Very pretty!

Everyone has the problem with the bridge you mentioned it seems.

I tried a mod bar mentioned on this forum under the SG Bass Bridge fix thread, but didn't make much of a difference for me.

Take a look there for some ideas on how others are dealing with it. Some get the hipshot bridge.

As for neck dive. Mine dives if I let go, but in playing position it feels fine and stays up.

My finish on the edge of the fingerboard and where the neck meet, down by the nut was a little chipped looking, but not a deal breaker. The rest of it was so beautiful and nice craftsmanship. Color is gorgeous too , like yours.

I have had two probs with the electronics :

1. dead resistor - easy fix.

2. defective neck pup - replaced under warranty.

Let us know how it goes with yours.

congrats on your new bass! [thumbup] the string windings on the saddle usually doesn't effect intonation, but you can always slide a few small washers on the string to eliminate that. there is a guy on ebay that sells a steel bar to fix that but he wants $30 for, iirc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived