Gibson Brands Forums

Lighter Weight Les Paul

Dallastx

You are in for quite a surprise if you can get to a dealer and play some.

For the past few years now many have been arguing the merits of the "chambered" LP's vs. the weight relieved vs. the solid. I think even most are chambered now.

I have a chambered and it comes in at around 7 1/4#'s. That is as light as my lightest Strat.

Does anyone know the weight difference between a solid body and a chambered? Is there any weight difference between a chambered and weight relieved?

depends on the guitar. some of the Norlins weighed in the 12 lb range. Some Historics weigh 7-8 lbs. I would guess the average chambered guitar weighs around 7 lbs vs 9-10 lbs for weight relieved.

I am not sure which of the chambered LPs you are looking at getting but I can definitely recommend checking out the 08 Standard. I am new to the Gibson world and have limited experience but one thing I can tell you for sure is that I have found the sustain on mine to be awesome! String dampening is a real factor. [biggrin] Finally, I really like the tone and feel too. Please post pics and comments of her when you get your new LP.

Does anyone know the weight difference between a solid body and a chambered? Is there any weight difference between a chambered and weight relieved?

The average weight of a Les Paul will vary even within the same models. Tightness of the grain, where the tree grew, etc comes into play. A Les Paul Reissue which is solid can weigh as much 12 lbs. A Les Paul Traditional with the weight relief body will weight somewhere around 9+ lbs, The chambered body will be around 7 lbs (+/-).

The average weight of a Les Paul will vary even within the same models. Tightness of the grain, where the tree grew, etc comes into play. A Les Paul Reissue which is solid can weigh as much 12 lbs. A Les Paul Traditional with the weight relief body will weight somewhere around 9+ lbs, The chambered body will be around 7 lbs (+/-).

12 pounds for a Historic reissue? Reissues tend to weigh LESS than their swiss cheesed counterparts. Maybe a 1970s Norlin could weigh in at 12lbs. 9 lbs is about the top end for a Historic.

Archived