Gibson Brands Forums

Fanned out nut slots?

Mr Moto

The slots in the nut on my HB Artist kind of "fan out" at angles toward the tuners instead of running straight across the nut like other guitars. Hope that makes sense - wish I had a picture to post. Anyway, I've never seen another guitar like that (including the much older Gibsons that I own). Is this typical on Gibson acoustics now or on HB Artists or is mine just odd?

I need to work on the nut string heights and was thinking of filling in the old slots completely and and filing the new ones straight across. Opinions?

I always wondered if angling the nut slot directly toward the specific tuner would help. It would still cause an angle break at the front, which would be the pinch point.

It seems to me the ultimate nut slot (no jokes please), would be a gentle arc, perpendicular at the front, tangent to the tuner at the back.

Please discuss.

For tone and intonation, the critical part of the nut/string interface is the leading edge of the nut, that last point where the string makes contact before making a bee line for the bridge pin by way of the saddle. The slot actually should slope down towards the tuner, beginning at the leading edge of the nut slot. Above that, the string continues through the slot before exiting, then taking a dog leg for the tuner. Especially if the dog leg is quite pronounced, opening up the slot in the direction of the dog leg will relieve some of the force and strain being applied to the side of the 'land' (that part of the nut which is not the slot) which relieves the tendency for the string to cut the land off.

This kind of slotting is probably more common with 'field' (not factory) installations as getting the angle right is hand work.

Just for the record...I decided that if the slots are to be made parallel then a new nut would be required and I didn't want to do that. Also, it has played just fine with those slots in the past so why change now. The real issues were that the strings were a tad too low and also wouldn't stay in tune. I was afraid that the slot angles had something to do with losing tune but after thinking about it I decided it must have been caused by poor slot filing by a local guitar tech before I got up the guts to do my own setups. After filling the slots with Milliput Fine White and re-filing (still angled toward the tuners)it seems to stay in tune just fine. Problem solved!

No penicillin required.

Archived