Gibson Brands Forums

Sibelius anyone?

DAS44

:D I'm enjoying some Jean Sibelius recently. Anyone else like it? The way I read it, his 2nd symphony doesn't "go out with a whimper, or a bang, but with a leaden thud"! It does lie in some grey area between them if you asked me.

Good ol' Fin, Stravinsky wasn't much of a fan until later in life, when he warmed to some of Sibelius' pieces.

Something of a national hero, it could be said he's the reason the Finns spend so much money on artistic education ("The annual Finnish expenditure on the arts is roughly two hundred times per capita what the US government spends on the National Endowment for the Arts" Alex Ross).

Anyways thought I'd share, his Second symphony is easily one of the most fantastic pieces of music (to my ears) I've ever heard. :)

:D I'm enjoying some Jean Sibelius recently. Anyone else like it? The way I read it, his 2nd symphony doesn't "go out with a whimper, or a bang, but with a leaden thud"! It does lie in some grey area between them if you asked me.

Good ol' Fin, Stravinsky wasn't much of a fan until later in life, when he warmed to some of Sibelius' pieces.

Something of a national hero, it could be said he's the reason the Finns spend so much money on artistic education ("The annual Finnish expenditure on the arts is roughly two hundred times per capita what the US government spends on the National Endowment for the Arts" Alex Ross).

Anyways thought I'd share, his Second symphony is easily one of the most fantastic pieces of music (to my ears) I've ever heard. :)

+1 !!

(What does a smart guy like you do on a forum like this?)

Hi Dom

Thanks for the heads up, I only own two recordings of Sebelius' symphonies I had to buy at college- and must admit, I haven't listened to them in years! but you are a mate and I trust your judgement, so this is going to make me have another listen and investigate. My musical taste buds have changed a lot even in the last two years so cheers!

Matt

I can enjoy Sibelius but, much more so than with most composers, I really have to be in the right frame of mind. His 'Karelia' suite is my personal favourite of his works.

Just keep me away from Stockhausen is all I ask.........[scared]

P.

Just keep me away from Stockhausen is all I ask.........[scared]

P.

What you don't want to see the three conductor Gruppen? [flapper]

I gotcha on the state of mind part though, my moods are not so discerning, but sometimes I'm just not feeling it.

Archived