Gibson Brands Forums

what other pedals help create Marshall like tones?

nauc

I have been chasing the Marshall sound out of stomp boxes for a long time now,

and I have found that if you want great Marshall tone, you need to go out and buy a Marshall, pedals come close, but Nothing beats the real deal.

Very true.

Actually, I agree, totally. And, it really needs to be an all valve (Tube) version,

as well. IMHO An overdriven "Plexi" is (for me) the ultimate Marshall

tone.

CB

I would absolutely love to have a Plexi, I keep hoping Metropolous will start selling kits again - it's the closest I could probably ever get to a plexi sound.

The Wampler Plexidrive and Plextortion get some good brit sounds going.

Very true.

I would absolutely love to have a Plexi, I keep hoping Metropolous will start selling kits again - it's the closest I could probably ever get to a plexi sound.

The Wampler Plexidrive and Plextortion get some good brit sounds going.

I only pulled the trigger on mine because my current head went tit$ up just before going into the studio.

that and i found it for under 2k.

The Way huge Fat sandwich is good for coming real close, especially if you are playing a clean amp like Blackface Fender.

I like the Barber Direct Drive for Plexi style sounds. The Xotic BB Preamp is also good. But the only way to get true Marshall tone is to get a Marshall, or in some cases, a high quality clone if you're going for true JTM 45/Plexi sounds without going vintage ( sorry, Marshall's aren't the same ). For that Metropoulos is easily the best, or Ceriatone ( they make clones of everything-tweed Fenders, Voxes, later Marshalls like the 2555 Silver Jubilee, and even Dumbles ). My favorite Marshalls ( and favorite amps period ) are the original 2203s, both the JMPs and the 800 versions, although I lean towards the early ( as in 81-86 ) JCM 800s. Single channel, no fx loop, not high gain ( MESA BOOGIE AND SOLDANO CAN GO TO HELL!!!! B) B) ). I prefer 6550s over EL34s, but thats just me. I think EL34s work better in the JMPs and 6550s work better in 800s. Plus they really take dirt pedals nicely ( the T-Rex Moller and the aforementioned Direct Drive are my favs ). Not many amps can produce chunk and push air like an old 2203. A circa 1982 800 2203 w. 6550s atop a 1960A with some Electro Voice EVM-12Ls and a good Les Paul or SG will blow smoke up your *** while you stand in front and play AC/DC!!!!![scared] [scared] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Well, could be...but, I'm all for getting a "real" Marshall amp, if you really

want/need, that sound. If I knew, back then, that I was going to start playing

guitar, again, after all these years, I would have kept my Marshall Major, full

stack. That monster was just amazing, both in volume, but more importantly, TONE!

It was "to die for!" [crying]

An old "polaroid," of me, and my Marshall Major (at age 19...1969)

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

Nice rig there CB. You still have those rigs pictured in the pic?

If you go into any of the Marshall fan sites on the web and FB you'll see the Carl Martin Plexitone name bandied about a lot.Also if you can find an early issue metal box Marshall Guv'nor you'll have yourself a mini Plexi/JCM800 in a box.The Marshall Bluesbreaker pedals will also give you extremely lush Marshall tones through any "good"amp.

Archived