Gibson Brands Forums

Should i fix myself

EvoRider

Hello i have a epip g-400 ebony and my problem is should i fix myself or take it to a epip dealer? The guitar is only a bout 3 months old but i would have to drive about a hour and ahalf to take to Guitar center. The 1/4 jack is stripped out and it wont tighten up. I have a new one and I am abale to fix myself with no problem. But will this void the warranty? Also when i first got the guitar i wrote my initials in under the cover on the body of the guitar. Would that void the warrenty? Thanks Roy

I can't help you out with the warranty implications, but I'd fix it myself even if the store was next door. I would replace it with a quality Switchcraft one as they are far less likely to fail again and they only cost $5 to $8 each. If the store was to do it they'd probably only replace it with a cheap crap one anyway.

I'd do it myself too but only after checking if it will effect the warranty. I know with Fender if they decide to get picky you will only be covered if a Fender Certified Service Tech does it, when I lost the pickup in my Jazz I was told the warranty would be void if I opened it up my own self.

Should i fix myself

Are you Broken? Are you skilled as a sergeon? Don't you want kids someday?

Seriously, if it were me I would fix it and call it a day.

Every Epiphone I have are on common ground.

I play them for a month or so. If there are no structural/physical problems....(truss rod mainly) I take them apart and rebuild all the electronics. And yes, it voids the warranty.

If you redo a solder joint or two and anybody could tell....then don't mess with it. Take it to a pro.

Otherwise if you do even a half arse job it will probably be better than the production job from the factory.

My opinion only,

Willy

well i am pretty sure i can fix it myself i am a mechanic by trade and there ant much i cant fix. Besides i use to race rc cars and if u talk to anybody that has ever done that u must be good at solidering... I am just worried that if i do fix it myself it will void the warranty.. And my luck is a few days later the pickups will go bad or the pots go out or something like that...

well i am pretty sure i can fix it myself i am a mechanic by trade and there ant much i cant fix. Besides i use to race rc cars and if u talk to anybody that has ever done that u must be good at solidering... I am just worried that if i do fix it myself it will void the warranty.. And my luck is a few days later the pickups will go bad or the pots go out or something like that...

TNTROY,

You are correct in your thinking. But consider...

If you like the guitar and believe it to be a good one (structurally, including the truss rod and whatever setup you or others have done) then you have won the majority of the battle.

If you can solder then you are talking nickel and dime stuff.

Would you really want to pay two way shipping to replace some electronic stuff?

If you have an authorized dealer in your area.... would you leave your guitar there for even a few hours?

I did that once and got it back with no charge but a big scratch. "Oh, it must have been there when you dropped it off."

Bottom line: It's your guitar.

Your experiences will help the ones that come after you.

Willy

TNTROY,

You are correct in your thinking. But consider...

If you like the guitar and believe it to be a good one (structurally, including the truss rod and whatever setup you or others have done) then you have won the majority of the battle.

If you can solder then you are talking nickel and dime stuff.

Would you really want to pay two way shipping to replace some electronic stuff?

If you have an authorized dealer in your area.... would you leave your guitar there for even a few hours?

I did that once and got it back with no charge but a big scratch. "Oh, it must have been there when you dropped it off."

Bottom line: It's your guitar.

Your experiences will help the ones that come after you.

Willy

I didnt think about something like that? I would be pissed if my guitar had a scratch on it when i got it back.... I will fix myself... Thanks for the advice.. Also how do i know if the truss rod is ok ? I am kinda new to playing guitars. I played bass a long time ago and back then you hardely ever heard anybody fuss about the truss rods. I still have my old bass and i have never adj the truss rod. Was i sppose to ?

TNTROY,

Adjusting a truss rod is part of a guitar setup. Like any work on a guitar it can take a bit of time and patience.

Never get in a hurry. Also, a set up does not void the warranty.

It is also a good idea to learn to do it as changes in the seasons and humidity can call for occasional tweaks.

The easiest way to learn is to watch someone else do it. But only if that someone really knows what they are doing.

There are many videos on youtube. Some good, some not so good.

As to the truss rod itself, there is a slew of articles in Animalfarm's DIY in the Epi Lounge.

I suggest you read them.

This is one of my favorites:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%20Adjustment

Now, I am overly cautious. An old habit. You will need a capo, a folded towel to support the neck and float the headstock and a good set of automotive feeler gauges. Make sure the guitar body is lying flat. I also place a towel under the body to avoid scratches.

It is now a good time to write down current settings for neck relief, string height and pickup distance from strings. If you like the way the guitar is set up you may want to retain those settings. They are, after all, personal preference.

Read the above article, and any others, carefully. (A few times)

Now, my personal preferences.

I loosen the stings. I never adjust a truss rod more than 1/8 turn at any time.

I wait an hour or so and then re-tune. I then let it set for a few hours.

I recheck the measurements as described in the above article.

If need be, I will readjust.

I Never adjust more than 1/4 turn in any given 24 hour period.

If adjusting the rod meets with any significant resistance with the strings loosened then, there may be a problem.

Taking your time, if there is movement in both directions and it has an effect on the relief of the neck...then...

your truss rod is probably fine.

Although it does happen, it is rare that I have found guitars with faulty truss rods.

It is not rocket science. However, if you have any doubts, have a pro do it for you.

Also, check his prices before committing.

Willy

P.S. Epiphones use a metric Allen wrench/hex key for truss rod adjustments.

The ones I have all use 4mm.

W.W.

Archived