Gibson Brands Forums

artists who get "popular"...

saturn

I always think it odd how a certain crowd feels that as soon as a band or artist reaches a degree of success where they get a lot of airplay, have a hit single, play on TV etc., that they are somehow now "suck' or they're "posers" or whatever other criticism you want to call it. It's not some new phenomenon either. People have held these kinds attitudes for decades.

I admit that much of "pop" music is and always has been just cookie cutter, drivel. But, I don't think that just because an artists gets a hit song, that somehow they aren't to be taken seriously. For instance, my middle son only listens to these kind of fringe, underground type bands like A Day To Remember and Devil Wears Prada just to name a couple. Some of their stuff is actually pretty good IMO. But I would bet money that if they were to suddenly get real popular like say Blink 182 or Nickleback did a few years ago, he would stop listening to them. :-k

IDK, I just don't believe a song or artists that somehow achieves "pop" success has to automatically be discounted by "real" music aficionados. It all seems kind of elitist to me.

I always think it odd how a certain crowd feels that as soon as a band or artist reaches a degree of success where they get a lot of airplay, have a hit single, play on TV etc., that they are somehow now "suck' or they're "posers" or whatever other criticism you want to call it. It's not some new phenomenon either. People have held these kinds attitudes for decades.

I admit that much of "pop" music is and always has been just cookie cutter, drivel. But, I don't think that just because an artists gets a hit song, that somehow they aren't to be taken seriously. For instance, my middle son only listens to these kind of fringe, underground type bands like A Day To Remember and Devil Wears Prada just to name a couple. Some of their stuff is actually pretty good IMO. But I would bet money that if they were to suddenly get real popular like say Blink 182 or Nickleback did a few years ago, he would stop listening to them. :-k

IDK, I just don't believe a song or artists that somehow achieves "pop" success has to automatically be discounted by "real" music aficionados. It all seems kind of elitist to me.

+1

To paraphrase Tweedy, he talked about how people hate pop stars, but he talked about how a lot of the early country musicians he idolized as a child were just as much pop stars as britney spears or lady gaga today. Its hard to have success and be adventurous with your sound because that's not safe.

its elitist bullshit.

However, ADTR and Devil Wears Prada are not underground at all. Go to a Hot Topic and you will see tons of their merch there, and while you're at the mall, without getting arrested, go up to teens and ask if they know these bands. FWIW, Devil Wears Prada is alright, don't care much for ADTR but if you look around especially that genre, a lot of those bands start to sound the same because they have found a formula!

Caveat, there are bands that do, once they get a major hit or whatever, turn to a cookie cutter formula for song writing and get boring and turn into ****.

Caveat, there are bands that do, once they get a major hit or whatever, turn to a cookie cutter formula for song writing and get boring and turn into ****.

some bands, once tasting sweet success, try to cling to that, to not mess up what "works." what happens then is the formulaic "every song like our hit song" output. sometimes they can pull it off, but more often than not... nope.

then some bands, once sensing that decline, try to reinvent themselves: they come off as "sellouts."

very few can stay both fresh and successful once they've made it big, so to speak.

as an aside, i remember despising all the "pop" bands back in the '80s... complete crap to me at the time. listening back through older ears, there was some pretty cool stuff going on. I can't explain that one: at least they actually played their instruments and sang their songs, i guess. :)

It's the whole music business tug-of-war. The music is creative and inspired. However, the business of getting it to the masses sometimes requires that the image adapt a bit. That is sometimes seen as a 'sell out' by the people who were happy when the band was filling up a club instead of filling up a stadium.

You never know how it's going to turn out, but we all usually err on the side of cashable checks. [cool]

Oh you kidz.

It doesn't matter which tard is posing in front of the camera, mouthing along to the lyrics, pretending to play their signature Squier.

Pop Music is a thing, a very substantial, feelable, bendy-posable thing. It changes, sometimes monthly. Whistling is big right now. Don't know what's next, I'm sure they are working on something. You can listen to pop music and really appreciate what them guys made, how they wrote it, how it was recorded, the use of effects that will be mimic'd for months to come or until the next gimmick whichever comes first. Pop Music just IS. You have to listen to it and love what they are doing with music, with songs.

Eff the artist, that's for the cafeteria in ninth grade. Listen to any Katy Pery. That kid is getting some primo crap, and I don't care who's getting the writing credits, they are doing a magnificent job of making what it is they make.

You don't have to love what they make, but you do have to love how they do it, how good they are at it. We all wish we could do that all day, I know I do. It's a machine. Don't confuse the doosh out front with the machine.

rct

Oh this argument/topic.

I gave up on it a long time ago. I was tired of defending my favorite band (Green Day) against on "they're popular now so they suck." I just figure, if one doesn't like someone because they're popular, they aren't into the music, just the scene of it all.

Determining whether or not you like anything based on whether other people like it or not is surrendering your own ability to choose what you enjoy. I love the bands I love and if they end up commercially successful I will be happy for them. I wouldn't condemn my favorite artists to living in a van off spaghetti-o's.

Determining whether or not you like anything based on whether other people like it or not is surrendering your own ability to choose what you enjoy. I love the bands I love and if they end up commercially successful I will be happy for them. I wouldn't condemn my favorite artists to living in a van off spaghetti-o's.

Yeah I think most punks that go that way don't stop to think that they actually would rather their faves live like you described. I begrudge nobody that goes down the Pop road, it is not an easy road to tread, certainly no easier than maintaining ones indy cred or shoegazer sensibilities. Whatever.

Long time ago was between RMNP and getting down to 70 east for home and stopped in yer town at the Tea joint. It was awesome, then had lunch. Beautiful part of the world.

rct

Archived