Gibson Brands Forums

Decline in music dvd's

lagerfanny

My local HMV store (not a mega store) has turned into a second rate 'Blockbusters Video' with around 50% of it's floor space now just having films on dvd !

They used to have 6 long rows of music dvd's now reduced to a 5' wide rack. Whats the cause?

online sales / illegal downloads ?

I can't be the only one who wants to view and buy the actual product in store.

What gives?

Music, IMO, has become less of an experience for the general populous. People hardly ever set time aside for music and has instead become a background.

People won't spend the time to listen to a full album nor will they spend an hour and a half watching live concert footage, behind the scenes, interviews, etc. that's why illegal downloading has become viewed at as less of a crime because it's lost a lot of its allure as a product and is now just a part of everyday life.

But I'm a grumpy asshole

Music, IMO, has become less of an experience for the general populous. People hardly ever set time aside for music and has instead become a background.

People won't spend the time to listen to a full album nor will they spend an hour and a half watching live concert footage, behind the scenes, interviews, etc. that's why illegal downloading has become viewed at as less of a crime because it's lost a lot of its allure as a product and is now just a part of everyday life.

But I'm a grumpy asshole

Grumpy asshole who has a point, and who I agree with.

I find fewer and fewer people my age (under 20), who are passionate, or take pleasure in music the way I am/do. It's a shame.

But I'm a grumpy asshole

I agree but not because I'm a grumpy old a-hole, I'm just old and appreciate music.

But I'm a grumpy asshole

Hes right. Yer an asshole and i love you! <3

Can't speak for others, but to me, there's a real lack of interest,

attention span, in listening to "one band," or album/cd, much, these days.

Diversity, is king! You see that, even in the "live music" clubs...where

there isn't one band a night, but several, that are booked to perform, nowadays.

And, even then, "bands" sometimes lose out, to "Karaoke!" Clubs don't have

to pay for bands, patrons become their own "stars" for a tune/night, and with

the sound systems, these days, it can be as loud, as any band, in that situation.

It's NO substitute (IMHO), for good/great "Live" band entertainment, but it's

easier (and much cheaper) for the venues, in this economy.

As to the "music is a background" situation, it may be because people are way too

busy, working (if you're fortunate enough to have a job, that is) 60+ hours a week,

often at 2 or 3 jobs, just to make ends meet. Music almost has to be in the

"background," in that situation. (The "leisure class" seems to have other things

to do, as well...a full time job, just managing their millions/billions, I suppose.)

And, that diversity, of music is so plentiful, and "easily accessed," via the Internet,

and other sources, that it's now taken, even more, for granted, than it ever was. So...???

CB

My local HMV store (not a mega store) has turned into a second rate 'Blockbusters Video' with around 50% of it's floor space now just having films on dvd !

They used to have 6 long rows of music dvd's now reduced to a 5' wide rack. Whats the cause?

online sales / illegal downloads ?

I can't be the only one who wants to view and buy the actual product in store.

What gives?

i used to go in person to music stores to buy that stuff, now i have amazon and play.com...why leave home?

Archived