Gibson Brands Forums

Four Input Marshalls

SG Jones

Recently Sinner 13 posted his stunning new plexi 100 reissue. I have been using four input Marshalls for a LONG time and they are my favorite amps. I just thought I would share a couple of tips that I have discovered for getting these amps to perform.

#1. Bridge the two channels as shown below. The two channels sound quite different and sound spectacular together. It is almost like using two amps. Set your overall volume with channel 2, the bass channel. This gives you your balls. Then add a bit of channel 1, the treble channel to dial in some nastiness. Be careful not to add too much of the treble channel or things can get a bit shrill. You can also use this configuration to switch between rhythm and lead volumes. Just use an AB box and run 2 cables to the amp. Plug one into the high (top) input and the other into the low input.

IMG_4441.jpg

#2. Run the prescence and all of the tone controls except treble on 10. The tone controls on these amps are tone cuts. I had the pleasure of meeting Brian "too loud" MacLeod of The Headpins backstage at a club show and took the opportunity to pick his brain. When I asked him what kind of tone settings he uses on his amps he licked his finger and made a motion as though he was going across the tops of all the knobs and turning them to the max. If you find that your sound has too much treble do not turn down the presence. This will cut the tone of bass, mid, and treble. Just turn down the treble to taste. I usually run the treble at about 5 and the rest on 10 on plexis and treble on about 3 and the rest on 10 on aluminum panels.

#3. If you are playing a Gibson (and why wouldn't you?) turn the tone on the bridge pickup down to about 6 or 7. It is a subtle change, but it helps to give you a rounder sound particularly when soloing. I saw a Youtube video with Joe Bonamassa and discovered that he does the same thing with his Gibsons and his rig which is a Silver Jubilee and plexi clones.

#4. These amps take pedals and rack gear exceptionally well. After all they are hand wired, all tube, no extra bs circuitry amps. Due to volume constraints [thumbdn] I often run my rack (JMP-1, etc.) through the amp clean. Sounds incredible. I can run the speaker emulated outs from the JMP-1 to the board, mike the cab, or do both. Also, it is my experience that the 4 hole boxes seem to prefer a good distortion to a good overdrive, although I am sure that there are some ODs that would sound great too.

These are a few thing I have figured out over the years. I am hoping to hear from some of you other Marshall heads (pun intended) to pick up a few more tricks.

The problem I have with Plexi's that they have to be crank up in order to get them to distort. That's why I prefer a master volume on one.

I have a Tom Scholz Power Soak that I use if I want amp distortion. The Marshall Power Break is also good, but expensive.

#2. Run the prescence and all of the tone controls except treble on 10. The tone controls on these amps are tone cuts. I had the pleasure of meeting Brian "too loud" MacLeod of The Headpins backstage at a club show and took the opportunity to pick his brain. When I asked him what kind of tone settings he uses on his amps he licked his finger and made a motion as though he was going across the tops of all the knobs and turning them to the max. If you find that your sound has too much treble do not turn down the presence. This will cut the tone of bass, mid, and treble. Just turn down the treble to taste. I usually run the treble at about 5 and the rest on 10 on plexis and treble on about 3 and the rest on 10 on aluminum panels.

Dude! I just tried this! Holy Sh!t !!!

I used to gig with a 50 Marshall. I'd go into the top no 1 channel then link from the bottom no 1 to the top no 2. I think they're the best sounding Marshall's.

I used to turn the cab around so the bulk of the volume was lost.

I used to gig with a 50 Marshall. I'd go into the top no 1 channel then link from the bottom no 1 to the top no 2. I think they're the best sounding Marshall's.

I used to turn the cab around so the bulk of the volume was lost.

That is why I run an open back cab.

It helps the sound dissipate, and IMO just plain sounds better.

As opposed to Aurally assaulting the audience with a direct blast of volume like you get with closed cabs.

That is why I run an open back cab.

It helps the sound dissipate, and IMO just plain sounds better.

As opposed to Aurally assaulting the audience with a direct blast of volume like you get with closed cabs.

Duane Allman and Dickey Betts sometimes ran open backed also.

#4. These amps take pedals and rack gear exceptionally well. After all they are hand wired, all tube, no extra bs circuitry amps. Due to volume constraints [thumbdn] I often run my rack (JMP-1, etc.) through the amp clean. Sounds incredible. I can run the speaker emulated outs from the JMP-1 to the board, mike the cab, or do both. Also, it is my experience that the 4 hole boxes seem to prefer a good distortion to a good overdrive, although I am sure that there are some ODs that would sound great too.

Again Stellar advice, That why I did the Ruetz mod to my '87 rat.

Clipped the high gain circuit out, turning it more in to a hot OD as opposed to a distortion effect. I set every thing for lead tone and use an EH signal pad as opposed to a booster, there by creating volume roll off and at the kick of a switch it is the same as rolling the volume up on you guitar without having to stray to far from the strings.

@S G Jones RE "loud" McLeod: I had the pleasure of knowing Brian from hanging out at Lew Skinner's Music Center in St. John's back in the 70's.He was the only person I have ever heard play who had an inate ability to sound like Dave Gilmour.He and his band Husky used to play the entire Dark Side Of The Moon album from start to finish with Brian covering Gilmour's riffs with each and every tiny nuance.When we lost Brian we lost a huge chunk of Canada's musical legacy.

Brian was an amazingly gifted multi-instrumentalist who could not only play many instruments but play them at a virtuoso level.It's not surprising that he had a load of tone tips for you because I've heard some beautiful things come from that old plexi of his and his '57 Strat.

Archived