Gibson Brands Forums

70s Tributes next?

fusion01k

I was just at my dealers, this PM, and they had just recieved some '60's Tribute

LP Studio Gold Tops, with (Matte) Black backs and neck backs. Even they

were surprised, when they opened the boxes. So...no telling what Gibson is up to.

They had these, in both the P-90 and Humbucker versions. So...???

In all honesty, I like the "natural" backs, and necks, much better. IF

they were "glossy" finished, then they might look much better. But "Matte

Black," seems "cheap," looking, to me. And, when it "wears," it's going to

look even worse. But, to each his/her own, I guess?

CB

Did these new Tributes have the roasted Maple fretboards? Not sure how they sound but they look like a very light Rosewood which to me seems cheap especially on a Made in the USA Gibson. I have several Tributes 50s and 60s and a new RD and I don't think I would have bought one with some kind of roasted maple without playing one first. I'm not a big fan of Rosewood to be honest, and I actually prefer Maple on strats but for Les Pauls Ebony is the best.

I was just at my dealers, this PM, and they had just recieved some '60's Tribute

LP Studio Gold Tops, with (Matte) Black backs and neck backs. Even they

were surprised, when they opened the boxes. So...no telling what Gibson is up to.

They had these, in both the P-90 and Humbucker versions. So...???

In all honesty, I like the "natural" backs, and necks, much better. IF

they were "glossy" finished, then they might look much better. But "Matte

Black," seems "cheap," looking, to me. And, when it "wears," it's going to

look even worse. But, to each his/her own, I guess?

CB

Did these new Tributes have the roasted Maple fretboards? Not sure how they sound but they look like a very light Rosewood which to me seems cheap especially on a Made in the USA Gibson. I have several Tributes 50s and 60s and a new RD and I don't think I would have bought one with some kind of roasted maple without playing one first. I'm not a big fan of Rosewood to be honest, and I actually prefer Maple on strats but for Les Pauls Ebony is the best.

Yeah, according to one of the luthiers there, they do. The ones I saw, however, were nice and

dark, and (of course) no "striping." So, they weren't "unattractive," at all...just not "rosewood."

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to plug one in, and see if there was an appreciable difference

in tone, compared to My (earlier) '60's Tribute. If I go back up there (2 hour drive, each way),

anytime soon, I'll take my 60's Tribute, with me...and test one. Had I known, ahead of time, the

new "dark back's" were going to be there, I would have, taken it, this time. But...???

CB

By the way, Sweetwater has them in stock, as well, and photos of the

various versions (honeyburst, faded black, Gold-Top) ALL with baked

maple fingerboards, and "black backs!" Check them out...see what you

think.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST5HTHDCH/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST5HTGSCH/

The "Honeyburst/Black Back" seem to come in '50's and '60's versions.

The "Gold Top/Black Back" seems to be only the '50's version???

Not really sure, on that, as Sweetwater is showing just those...but,

they might be availble in either configuration? Maybe Gibson will

tell us, at some point?!

CB

well... given their issues with rosewood lately, didn't they come out with Les Paul's with maple necks and fretboards in the 70's?

Personally, I wouldn't give a Gibson with a maple fretboard a second look. Firstly because I've never liked the feel of maple under my fingers. Especially when the fretboard has a glossy finish. Secondly, a gibson with a maple fretboard just seems wrong to me. I don't like the difference in tone it creates.

Ultimately, I find Ebony a much more suitable fretboard material to maple. It at least has a feel that reminds me of rosewood, although Ebony is more dense and less porous.

Norlin Tribute line, I hope! I'm crossing my fingers that they reissue some paddle-headstocked, pancake-body LP's with T-Tops, or maybe resurrect something like the weird student-model SG-100 with just the neck single coil and bridge cover, the heavy-as-a-boulder Sonex 180, or the very rare Rebel Invader complete with un-PC Rebel Flag graphic body and matching headstock, but that's just me...

Man, I'm sorry...but, as much as I DO love my (2) Norlin Era LP's

(76 Deluxe, and '80 LP Custom), there were just too many "Turkeys"

both in construction and design, during that era, to want to repeat

any of it. [scared] Why repeat/celebrate Gibson's "worst" era??? [flapper]

But, maybe, that's just me.

CB

. [scared] Why repeat/celebrate Gibson's "worst" era??? [flapper]

But, maybe, that's just me.

CB

yeah I hear that alot, that was the introduction of the Nashville from the ABR-1 wasn't it? along many other changes

I wouldn't mind a left handed Sonex but that was 80's wasn't it? wow 80's reissues could you imagine it would be gibson gone mad with frankenstein guitars.........in fairness i'd buy one.........just one, but a reissue of a les paul that I would have to put a fair amount of work into to get it how I like it? no thanks still working on customising my Trad, R8 for me next time

Archived