Gibson Brands Forums

Is my R8 VOS Weight Relieved or Chambered?

bluesguitar65

no offense, but does it matter?

if you buy a guitar for how it sounds, does it matter if its chambered or swiss cheesed?

Yes....You can only fit six ping pong balls in a weight relieved Les Paul,

but you can fit twelve ping pong balls into a chambered Les Paul...........

bluesguitar65, I know you're a member at MLP. Read the Les Paul 101 thread if you haven't' already.

if you buy a guitar for how it sounds, does it matter if its chambered or swiss cheesed?

It certainly does considering you're paying a premium for it.

bluesguitar65, I know you're a member at MLP. Read the Les Paul 101 thread if you haven't' already.

It certainly does considering you're paying a premium for it.

Ok, I guess I missed the memo, but what exactly are you paying a premium for? If you like the way it sounds/feels/makes-you-happy-down-there, would you not buy a guitar because it is the opposite of whichever you want (swiss cheese or chambered)?

I guess I'm stupid because I never got into the two, and which is better, but I just try stuff out and see if I like it. I'm really not trying to troll, or be a ****, I'm just curious. I never knew one was preferable to the other

Ok, I guess I missed the memo, but what exactly are you paying a premium for? If you like the way it sounds/feels/makes-you-happy-down-there, would you not buy a guitar because it is the opposite of whichever you want (swiss cheese or chambered)?

I guess I'm stupid because I never got into the two, and which is better, but I just try stuff out and see if I like it. I'm really not trying to troll, or be a ****, I'm just curious. I never knew one was preferable to the other

Think of it like this:

A Standard is like a 1 star ping pong ball, and a R8 is like a 3 star ping pong ball.

Think of it like this:

A Standard is like a 1 star ping pong ball, and a R8 is like a 3 star ping pong ball.

Yes.....Custom Shop Re-issue ping pong balls are still made with genuine Hondurian plastic....The seams are flawlessly seamed....

This extra in shop work takes time and dedication....Tap on a re-issue ping pong ball; It sounds great and solid.....Tap on a weight

relieved ping pong ball and it still sounds great, but you KNOW that it's been weight relieved....Tap on a chambered ping pong ball

and you know right away that it's been chambered.....You get what you pay for........

Actually, reissues are made with the finest grade Hondurian mahogany....Worth the extra cost IMHO....And with one piece backs.....[thumbup] ....

Its like brains in your head.

Me and Damian may have the same stuff swirling around in our head, and they weigh exactly the same.

But even though we have the same information, I have holes in my head. You can't really tell from the outside, and can't see or feel the holes. But, I am more dense.

Yes.....Custom Shop Re-issue ping pong balls are still made with genuine Hondurian plastic....The seams are flawlessly seamed....

This extra in shop work takes time and dedication....Tap on a re-issue ping pong ball; It sounds great and solid.....Tap on a weight

relieved ping pong ball and it still sounds great, but you KNOW that it's been weight relieved....Tap on a chambered ping pong ball

and you know right away that it's been chambered.....You get what you pay for........

Actually, reissues are made with the finest grade Hondurian mahogany....Worth the extra cost IMHO....And with one piece backs.....[thumbup] ....

Ok, all ping pong jokes aside, I know there should be a quality difference (especially with some of the stuff Gibson USA is putting out...) but obviously more time and more attention to detail will be spent on it.

My question is, if you're happy with the sound, why would it matter if its swiss cheese or chambered?

I never got all that stuff about how the guitar is weight relieved, but then again, I think all guitars (besides for semi hollows and hollows should be solid anyways)

Ok, all ping pong jokes aside, I know there should be a quality difference (especially with some of the stuff Gibson USA is putting out...) but obviously more time and more attention to detail will be spent on it.

My question is, if you're happy with the sound, why would it matter if its swiss cheese or chambered?

I never got all that stuff about how the guitar is weight relieved, but then again, I think all guitars (besides for semi hollows and hollows should be solid anyways)

Well.............Personally Nat, I don't mind my Les Pauls being weight relieved......I don't mind chambered Les Pauls either....However,

IMHO, chambered Les Pauls DO sound different, and I do not prefer them....I use them to record when their tone is called for.............

Cork sniffin' or not, you do have a valid point...If a guitar sounds good, so be it.......I still will own a least one '59 & '60, and '58 re-issue....

And I DO EXPECT them to sound and play better than a regular run Les Paul.....

And I DO EXPECT them to sound and play better than a regular run Les Paul.....

They do, not to say than a USA LP is not great, my R8 sounds/feels great and the differences in sound versus a Standard are there but...a USA LP is a great guitar if Gibson puts it out of the factory without blemishes.

I would not mind owning a chambered LP standard, I like the way they sound.

Guest Farnsburger

It wasn't a question about better or worse, just asking which. The anti cork sniffing movement can be worse than the cork sniffers when some people jump on it. Maybe BG prefered, or did not prefer his r8 and wanted to know more about it. Perfectly reasonable question to my mind.

My ears tell me swiss chease makes no difference and chambering makes a huge difference. Not better, or worse but very different. I might get a chambered standard one day, very bright and to my ears it puts the mids back that the humbuckers cancelled out. It has it's place because it's different. Those that are apposed to chambering can either go for a cheaper traditional or a more expensive re-issue depending on their preferences.

Not every matter of opinion has to be a dispute. This is becoming the guitar argument, taking sides, clique forum recently.

Seriously, it was just a question asking for a factual response.

It wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Seriously, it was just a question asking for a factual response.

And, as Riffster said right back there in post #2, the mahogany used for the re-issue body blanks is lighter than that used for the majority of LP production.

P.

Archived