Gibson Brands Forums

cool tones you've stumbled across while experimenting with new gear

This_Dying_Soul

I was playing around with my Visual Sound Double Trouble last night.

I plugged my American Deluxe Strat into it and played through my Traynor tube amp. The amp was on Channel 2 (clean channel for this amp) and the below result could be achieved with either the "brit mode" or "USA mode"

The amp was on low volume ( 0 actually) because it was 2am and my wife was asleep. I dialed in the Drive to about 11 o'clock, tone to 2 o'clock, and the Level at 12 o'clock on the OD 1. I set the drive to 8 o'clock, tone to 12 o'clock and level to 3 o'clock on the OD 2.

with both OD circuits engaged (the pedal is a dual TS-808 clone for those who don't know), the tone was fairly saturated and with a nice amount of compression to it.

Then I started playing the strat and messing with the pickup selector and the S-1 switch (again, for those who don't know, this switch on the guitar changes the way the pickups are wired). Normally, the neck position on the 5 way selector sounds thin and horrible with the S1 engaged and I'd noticed quite a significant volume drop. But, with the Double Trouble set as it was I got a great out of phase type sound that didn't lose any volume due to the compression (not 100% sure if this was the preamp section of the amp or the pedal that caused the compression, but it sound awesome either way). It was really nasally as if I had turned on a wah and left it stationary as a filter.

I can't wait to try this with a group of musicians. It's the type of tone that would cut through any mix. If I recall correctly the position 5 on the selector with the S1 engaged is the neck pickup and the bridge pickup in series.

Anybody else ever stumble upon a tone they absolutely loved but didn't expect to get while playing around with somewhat basic gear like this?

MOOG has some great guitar gear out these days......pricey......

I sometimes use a pencil instead of a pick.......Bounce the pencil off all the strings at the same time...Works great for me...

Odd usages of tremolo and reverse delay are interesting to mess with....Ah, I also use an E-Bow.....a lot.......

MOOG has some great guitar gear out these days......pricey......

I sometimes use a pencil instead of a pick.......Bounce the pencil off all the strings at the same time...Works great for me...

Good idea, slap some carbon paper on your guitar, and you've got a carbon copy delay.

Good idea, slap some carbon paper on your guitar, and you've got a carbon copy delay.

[scared]:-k :-k :-k ......I've been looking at them there BYOC pedals kits....Hmmm.....

Knowing me, I'd build them all and would have to have some with custom KIMBA paint treatments....[woot] ....

I've been doing that technique since high school. [biggrin]

I "invented" in while playing around in guitar class one day. Later I adapted it to a drum stick. I used to play that way as a gimmick in my band back int he 90s. I can't remember the song though #-o Then I kind of forgot about that little technique. I might have to resurrect it now though. :-k

I "invented" in while playing around in guitar class one day. Later I adapted it to a drum stick. I used to play that way as a gimmick in my band back int he 90s. I can't remember the song though #-o Then I kind of forgot about that little technique. I might have to resurrect it now though. :-k

My old drummer and bassist had done stuff with drum sticks before. we used it as a gig intro. Bassist would stand near the drummer and the drummer would hit the strings in a particular rhythm while the bassist fiddled with the volume in time with the drummer's rhythm. It was a weird sounding sort of tremolo effect that we stumbled across while jamming one afternoon.

I like ring moduators, talk boxes, and the like......

Never had the opportunity to experiment with this kind of stuff. I always found the talkbox reminded me of a cross between a wah and a flanger. I do know that some really freakish sounds come out of ring modulators...would love to stumble across one here locally some time.

Genius meets genius.....[thumbup] .....It is an interesting technique....I use it on a C.D. I'm releasing (if I ever finish the d*mn thing)...

Never had the opportunity to experiment with this kind of stuff. I always found the talkbox reminded me of a cross between a wah and a flanger. I do know that some really freakish sounds come out of ring modulators...would love to stumble across one here locally some time.

Talk boxes are amazing.......As are quality ring modulaters.......

Thinking I may go for a flanger next, but when I go on the hunt for that I might just keep my eyes peeled for a ring modulator instead.

Also crossing my fingers that I'll win a giveaway by Visual Sound through facebook right now. In the next day or so they are going to announce the winner of a Jeckyll & Hyde from their facebook giveaway. [thumbup]

Thinking I may go for a flanger next, but when I go on the hunt for that I might just keep my eyes peeled for a ring modulator instead.

Also crossing my fingers that I'll win a giveaway by Visual Sound through facebook right now. In the next day or so they are going to announce the winner of a Jeckyll & Hyde from their facebook giveaway. [thumbup]

Ooooooh, those are nice.........

I got some pretty gross sounds(the good kind of gross [biggrin] ) with my Silvertone 1448 guitar/amp with a Fuzz Factory by rolling the tone all the way back and setting up the fuzz for a velcro-ish sound. It sounded like a malfunctioning talk box...

didn't win the pedal, but I'm probably going to buy one eventually.

I could just get a Son Of Hyde (the single pedal of the Hyde side), but there's that wonder of how 3 TS808's would sound daisy chained.

I guess I could use the Double Trouble and my Boss Super Overdrive for a rough idea, but I want a good distortion for metal next... not that dreadfull metal zone though.

Something that I really liked too was cranking the clean channel of my amp to overdrive (a great Marshall tone) then add in both sides of the Double Trouble.... BRAINSTORM! I have 6 dirt pedals in all (double trouble counts as 2)... I'm going to daisy chain them all and see what kind of mayhem it will cause... besides all the hissing and squealing from so many gain based effects in one signal chain. lol

Archived