Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Les Paul Pics!

Geetar_Axl

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE! A fellow gear-head! What are your plans for your LP BFG' date=' Oyster? I customize my guitars as well. Gimme all the details![/quote']

Oh yeah! I leave nothing alone.

Details: hehe, just a BFG. I didn't really care for the face and wanted to do something right off the bat. After finding a small crack near the bridge I knew I had to do something. I plan on keeping it "BFG'ish" as much as I can, but I wanted a smoother look.

Unseen in the pic is the back, neck and heastock. The heastock got a couple coats of nitro - which REALLY brought out the gold writing.

The back was sanded smooth, sealed and shot with nitro - giving it a very nice smooth look that goes very well with the gold

Not sure which pickup to use in the bridge yet, but the p90 is staying in the neck position. It's just too 'creamy' to rip out. There's a couple pickups I'd like to try...

Other than that, I'm replacing the 'kill switch', and making it basic Paul config. Then I must tell myself to leave it alone - which may very well be the hardest part of this project.

Oh yeah! I leave nothing alone.

Details: hehe' date=' just a BFG. I didn't really care for the face and wanted to do something right off the bat. After finding a small crack near the bridge I knew I had to do something. I plan on keeping it "BFG'ish" as much as I can, but I wanted a smoother look.

Unseen in the pic is the back, neck and heastock. The heastock got a couple coats of nitro - which REALLY brought out the gold writing.

The back was sanded smooth, sealed and shot with nitro - giving it a very nice smooth look that goes very well with the gold

Not sure which pickup to use in the bridge yet, but the p90 is staying in the neck position. It's just too 'creamy' to rip out. There's a couple pickups I'd like to try...

Other than that, I'm replacing the 'kill switch', and making it basic Paul config. Then I must tell myself to leave it alone - which may very well be the hardest part of this project.[/quote']

Very cool.

I removed the worn out gold hardware from both of my LP Custom's and replaced with chrome, locking tuners and 490R/498T's. I cleaned and polished the painted surfaces, oiled the fretboards and did a complete set-up. They look and sound brand new. No irreversible mods were done and I have all the original hardware.

My Studio Lite with the Floyd trem is a new aquisition. This guitar was played a lot and was never cleaned. It is currently stripped down to the body. I cleaned and polished the body and cleaned and oiled the fretboard. The frets are worn and may have to be leveled or replaced. I think for now I'm going to leave the worn through the paint areas on the body as they are. This guitar came with all black hardware which I am currently cleaning and will re-use for now. I may switch to chrome later. The pick-ups are passive EMG copies, and I'm not sure if they are Gibsons. I will definitely get new pick-ups, but I haven't decided which ones yet, probably the 490R/498T's again.

There's a stripped down VM on Ebay....great starter for a project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350024611946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

Very cool.

I removed the worn out gold hardware from both of my LP Custom's and replaced with chrome' date=' locking tuners and 490R/498T's. I cleaned and polished the painted surfaces, oiled the fretboards and did a complete set-up. They look and sound brand new. No irreversible mods were done and I have all the original hardware.

My Studio Lite with the Floyd trem is a new aquisition. This guitar was played a lot and was never cleaned. It is currently stripped down to the body. I cleaned and polished the body and cleaned and oiled the fretboard. The frets are worn and may have to be leveled or replaced. I think for now I'm going to leave the worn through the paint areas on the body as they are. This guitar came with all black hardware which I am currently cleaning and will re-use for now. I may switch to chrome later. The pick-ups are passive EMG copies, and I'm not sure if they are Gibsons. I will definitely get new pick-ups, but I haven't decided which ones yet, probably the 490R/498T's again.

There's a stripped down VM on Ebay....great starter for a project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350024611946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

[/quote']

Nice!

I've spent nearly all night working on my BFG. The gold paint from re-ranch comes tomorrow, so I best be ready! Shot the back of the neck and headstock with nitro again. It's really going to come out nice. (Though the apartment now smells like STRONG nitro)

The front of the body will be shot tomorrow followed by more nitro the next day. It'll be interesting to see how the gold lays down on the rather unique body of the BFG.

I did - however, bump the edge tonight and took a little chunk of mahogany out. :( My first ding and it wasn't even being played. How terrible. hehe.

As far as hardware, I took all my black hardware and went to town with some scotchbrite. It left the bare nickel showing brightly, so I hit that with the buffing wheel. It's a nice shiny nickel now, which really shows up well with the gold background.

Since the re-ranch gold is supposed to be the original formula from the 50's, I may try to force a patina out of it to get the green hue. Might as well keep the BFG 'different'. [-o<

Here's my first and only so far!

She is among my top three axes. I am finding it hard to admit, but i'm beginning to seriously like playing it more than my early Ibanez Jems. Anyways, this is a Gibson 2001 Studio Plus with flame top. I've noticed that these aren't particularly easy to find. Not so much that they are expensive and limited, but rather that there was probably only a small market for them. I don't why. I've played a few Les Pauls before. To be honest, i've always hated them. The neck profile, the empty and over lushed mahogany tone and the fruitless mid out put pick ups (before i knew anything about em' that is). I was once forced to borrow a fellow musician's Les Paul when i snapped a string on my only guitar tuned in E at a show. It was my worst performance. I could not play fast or even accurately. Anyways, it was a mess, and i have since then been turned off by them. I've played a few Epiphones and even though a lot of people swear by them, when i hold them up, i feel like they are cheap. I know the Gibson's are a tad more expensive, but i don't accept compromise. The newer Gibbo's seem to have a problem sharing the same quality. I was told the Quality control is butched at the factory. Anyways, my 2001 is a well seasoned, yet well looked after axe. She plays well, has a nice set of pick ups 490r - 498t. I just love the way it feels. I play a lot faster on my jem's. They are shredding machines, but i can play just as well on the Gibson and have some sweet rhythm lines. I am now on the look out for a Standard or Custom. I am willing to trade one of my sweet Vintage Ibanez Jem's for a Custom!

Here are the pictures!

P.S. The pickguard was added, the knobs were changed into gold models and sometime soon i should be adding my new Gibson hardtail with fine tuner adjustment screws.

What do you guys think ? Good catch!?

gibsonlespaulstudioplusjq9.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusil9.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusbw2.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplustj9.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusmy2.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusnt6.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusdc1.th.jpg

gibsonlespaulstudioplusfm7.th.jpg

Fender

Archived