Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most important non-technical skill a musician/guitarist can have?

DAS44

The knowledge to never wear spandex, makeup, a dress, and / or a perm...........[sneaky] ...

Unless your name is Alice Cooper, or the band's name is Kiss, I can agree about the makeup... but these guys are the exception. When Poison wore makeup it was just wrong.... Twisted Sister... pushin it.

the rest... doesn't matter who you are, it shouldn't happen. Even if your name is Ozzy [glare]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very good ear and innate sense of rhythm are essential. I don't know whether either of those two things can be taught.

In a group situation I'd say patience and the ability to listen to the rest of the players.

P.

A very good ear and innate sense of rhythm are essential. I don't know whether either of those two things can be taught.

In a group situation I'd say patience and the ability to listen to the rest of the players.

P.

QUICKLY, BECAUSE i HAVE TO LEAVE SOON:

I don't mean to be contrare, but rythm and a good ear can be taught and studied. I have taken classes for both.

For rhythm, the study at its basics was how to read and translate what is played and how to write it as well as read it. Advanced was how to recognize syncopations such as swing and shuffle type things, and the effects that certain types of rhythms might have on poeple.

Ear training involved how to listen and hear differences in tones, such as intervals. By studying, a person can be trained to hear and identify complex chords, as well as identify scales by being able to identify intervals between notes.

Some have more natural ability than others for sure, but if an individual was to study and learn, they end up with the ability. You can also forget (such as me) what you have learned by not practicing or using the knowledge.

But what is cool, I think, is regardless of talent, a person who studies these things can be better at it and know how to do as well as anyone.

Archived