Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most important non-technical skill a musician/guitarist can have?

DAS44

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the ability to drink a bottle of vodka and still be able to see the fingerboard [blink]

a cool haircut

i'm a winner then!

293966_2258004724265_1072796345_2494471_1971929743_n.jpg

Thanks loads guys, you really contributed to the conversation. Though that haircut definitely is a winner

I'm not sure there's a good answer to this. For example, yes, timing can be critical - but by the same token, what is "the" timing for a giving piece on a given instrument in a given style?

An "ear?" To hear tone, your own timing, or???

I think "taste" even can mean different things. If you're trying to do an exact "cover" of something, whether it's a Segovia version of a Bach piece or a rock band, that may or may not be considered "taste" in the same sense as doing original or a "version" of a song.

Dedication, yeah, but to what? Even practice can be counterproductive when you figure that practice doesn't make perfect, but just makes habit.

Perhaps... I guess maybe the one answer would have to be "caring about one's music and one's self."

m

Like dave said, Timing or Meter. And to touch on what Milo said about it, I'd say that the ability to identify time signatures, tempo, and feel (that is Straight as opposed to swing ect.) all go with meter.

Dedication as well, at least enough dedication to stick with it. You don't have to practice 14 hours a day (although it helped when I was 16), but you do have to keep the dust of your guitar.

Restraint for sure. Nothing worse IMO than a guy that can't leave space for other musicians or the audiences ear. My last drummer had absolutely no restraint, he'd Bash Cymbals over every hook and every lead break. When it came time to pause in the lead for Led Zeppelins Rock and Roll when the guitar rips off that 16th note lick he'd Bash cymbals right along [cursing] RESTRAIN MAN, RESTRAIN.

To take a different tack, more in the Day Job vein of it. Good Phone/people Skills are a huge plus. Coming from a performance point of view, if you can't sell yourself to the venue you can't play. You gotta be good at the PR.

Also in the People Skill category the ability to read and react to an audience is essential to the Gigging Musician. Remember in the Blues Brothers, "We need to play something these people like, and fast!" Truer words have never been spoken.

Archived