Gibson Brands Forums

looking for a brighter sound

wootpow

] Folks I have an epiphone ej200 cut away and have tried numerous different brand strings but I cannot get a bright sound.Is it common for this make/style guitar? It has the pickups but i play mostly acoustically.Any help would be appreciated.

I use D'Addario 10-46 nickel strings with the wound 3rd on all my acoustic/electric guitars and have found that are a lot brighter than Phosphur Bronze etc.when played acoustically and they sound phenomenal when played electrically. Maybe 10-46 would be too light a gauge for you but heavier strings in the nickel line should give you the same results.

I use D'Addario 10-46 nickel strings with the wound 3rd on all my acoustic/electric guitars and have found that are a lot brighter than Phosphur Bronze etc.when played acoustically and they sound phenomenal when played electrically. Maybe 10-46 would be too light a gauge for you but heavier strings in the nickel line should give you the same results.

Thanks! I have never tried those before but am willing to give them a try,my next stop is at the music store.

You might consider replacing the plastic nut, saddle, and bridge pins for bone. I've heard brass bridge pins sometimes will brighten up the tone of a guitar. What type of string gauges have you tried?

I have replaced the saddle with bone but the pins and nut were out of stock so I have to wait for their shipment to come in.Hopefully soon.

Hi -

Can you provide the following additional information:

1. What do you hear now?

2. What do you want to hear (can you give an artist or song example)?

3. Exactly what strings have you tried?

Regards,

The sound seem to be fine if I am strumming but to try and pick some old country tunes their are no highs.The strings i have used so far are Elixer nanoweb meds and custom lights,Gibson masterbuilt premium lights,Martin 80/20 lights and Daddario ej16's light. I just installed the Gibson masterbuilts so giving those a try for now. Thanks people for your replies.

One of my gits is an Epi EL-00. I wanted a bit "brighter" sound from it. Someone at a local music shop suggested I try Martin strings on it. I can't remember exactly which ones. They are the ones with a winding at the saddle. I was having problems breaking a D string way to often. He suggested the Martin strings may solve that problem. BUT, the side effect was a much brighter sound from the little EL-00. They are "lights". Keeping It Fun, Dean

I know that I usually wear a lot lighter strings on an acousic-electric than most here, but look at DR Zebra. They're designed for AE guitars. I use the 9-42, but if you're a strummer you might wanna try heavier.

Most of the time I wear Polyweb Elixirs 10s on the strumming guitar.

I'm about to put some of those polywebs onto a Masterbilt aj500m I just got used.

We'll see.

m

I know that I usually wear a lot lighter strings on an acousic-electric than most here, but look at DR Zebra. They're designed for AE guitars. I use the 9-42, but if you're a strummer you might wanna try heavier.

Most of the time I wear Polyweb Elixirs 10s on the strumming guitar.

I'm about to put some of those polywebs onto a Masterbilt aj500m I just got used.

We'll see.

m

I am not familiar with dr zebra strings.Where can I buy them?

Here's another thought, too...

"Bright" also has a lot to do with how you play. Closer to the bridge, you hear those ringier tones. A flatpick will add to that impression if you're strummin'.

As was mentioned above, the type of pick, if any, affects things a lot.

Don't forget that Segovia used to say the guitar could be an entire orchestra because of the possibilities of so many different tones. And that's just on a nylon string guitar.

So again, play different positions between the bridge and soundhole. Even the pick angle, whether it's fingers or a flatpick, will make a difference. Steel fingerpicks will be much brighter than bare fingers, etc., etc., etc.

m

Just bought a used Epiphone EL-00.

Took it right to Pittsburgh Guitars for a setup and bone replacement parts.

For the strings I wanted something different and a little thicker.

They suggested Martin LifeSpan SP's MSP7200 Medium 13-17-26-35-45-56.

What a sound.

Bright and booming.

Worth a try.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Archived