Gibson Brands Forums

P94 pickups

mydeadblues

Actual P94s are strictly Gibson pickups.

The Epiphone Nick Valensi Riviera has P94s, but they're the real deal Gibsons.

Seymour Duncan and Guitar Fetish both make aftermarket variations.

Looks like I just got some Gibson P94 for $50!!! [woot]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-IMPORT-Epiphone-P94-Pickups-Humbucker-sized-P90s-/260886209707?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cbe07a4ab#ht_500wt_1120

GFS has the Mean 90 set (not Dream 90) that get rave reviews on the Duncan Forum. You ought to get a pair if you're wanting P-90's in an humbucker guitar. You can also have a P-90 neck and a humbucker bridge, which gives you the best of both worlds. I've done that in Dots and SG's.

EpiEric, I Was thinking the same thing when I saw them listed, I asked the guy what kind of Epi they came out of and sure enough he said a nick valensi riviera. If you saw my other post about upgrading my riviera youd know I have actually been looking for some good Gibson pups so wow what perfect timing! I hope installing them won't be too difficult, the guy said they still have the proprietary clips for Epi guitars....I'm not really sure what that means until I see them or get pictures. I'm also not sure how to figure out which is the bridge and which is the neck pup if theyre not labeled.

I'm not exactly sure about these specific pickups, but with many aftermarket and Epiphone factory pickups, the poles on the neck pickup are closer together than the poles on the bridge pickup (of the same set, at least) since the strings are getting closer together as they get to the nut.

Typical pole spacing for Epiphone pickups are 50mm neck and 52mm bridge (measured center-to-center of the outer poles).

I believe the clip mentioned would be the small cable connector located at the ends of the pickups' leads, which is how newer models are wired (plugged in) to the circuit board in the control cavity.. no soldering required if your guitar is a newer model which has a circuit board, instead of point-to-point soldered wire connections (common to most older models and various brands).

Regards,

Bill

EpiEric, I Was thinking the same thing when I saw them listed, I asked the guy what kind of Epi they came out of and sure enough he said a nick valensi riviera. If you saw my other post about upgrading my riviera youd know I have actually been looking for some good Gibson pups so wow what perfect timing! I hope installing them won't be too difficult, the guy said they still have the proprietary clips for Epi guitars....I'm not really sure what that means until I see them or get pictures. I'm also not sure how to figure out which is the bridge and which is the neck pup if theyre not labeled.

I'm not exactly sure about these specific pickups, but with many aftermarket and Epiphone factory pickups, the poles on the neck pickup are closer together than the poles on the bridge pickup (of the same set, at least) since the strings are getting closer together as they get to the nut.

Typical pole spacing for Epiphone pickups are 50mm neck and 52mm bridge (measured center-to-center of the outer poles).

I believe the clip mentioned would be the small cable connector located at the ends of the pickups' leads, which is how newer models are wired (plugged in) to the circuit board in the control cavity.. no soldering required if your guitar is a newer model which has a circuit board, instead of point-to-point soldered wire connections (common to most older models and various brands).

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for all the info Bill! I have a 97' riviera so I probably have to do a little soldering. I'll definitely measure the pole spacing before hand though!

Thanks for all the info Bill! I have a 97' riviera so I probably have to do a little soldering. I'll definitely measure the pole spacing before hand though!

If I'm not mistaken, the "R" and "T" designations (rhythm and treble) on the P94s indicate opposite magnetic polarity and opposite winding so you get hum cancelling when the 3-way switch is in the middle position.

If I'm not mistaken, the "R" and "T" designations (rhythm and treble) on the P94s indicate opposite magnetic polarity and opposite winding so you get hum cancelling when the 3-way switch is in the middle position.

Awesome, I hope they're labeled!

The pups just came in the mail today. They both have a "B" on the back of the pickups toward the lower right, is this normal? I'm not sure what the "B" stands for [confused]

I'm not sure which is the bridge and which is the neck, I haven't got a chance to measure them but one is labeled "8.67" and the other "8.63."

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

There's not going to be much difference between them, but I'd put the slightly hotter one in the bridge position. BTW, the R stands for "rhythm", or neck position, and the T is for "treble", or bridge position.

I don't see a R or a T, both pups have B's?

I don't have any P94s to compare to, but judging by BrianHs photos, those sure look like the GFS pickups by comparison.

It looks like there's some heat shrink on the leads. I wonder if someone spliced on the Epiphone connectors?

Dream 90s are $29.99 each new. So I guess when you add in shipping, you paid about the same price as new for the pair.

That might not be an awful thing, but if they are GFS pickups, I think the ad is misleading if the seller really knew what he had.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I started to suspect they were not Gibson pups after I got them, he was definitely misleading so I'm probably going to try to return them. Damn I was really looking forward to some good Gibson pickups!

Yes, they are not Gibson P94s, and they probably didn't come out of a Valensi. Here's a closeup of my Valensi showing the pickups:

Riviera closeup

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived