Gibson Brands Forums

Beater Guitar Part 1

Whitmore Willy

Just opened an image shack account and wanted to test resolutions.

Pic of my "new" guitar.

1000516j.jpg

(actually the pickguard is in better condition than the rest of the guitar)

It just doesn't show all the dings and chips at this angle.

Hey for $20 bucks, what did ya expect?

Beside, this is the best part of the guitar. LOL

One of the smaller scrapes:

1000478h.jpg

Tape was to hold the nut (if you can call it that) in place.

1000481y.jpg

Well, three out of 4 screws ain't bad. (even if they are all different)

And yes, those are chips and dings, not highlights.

1000486o.jpg

Willy

What are your plans for it?

Well, I do a lot of camping so two things immediately come to mind.

fire_1.gif...........Boy.gif

Just Kidding....

Actually, RaSTuS is spot on.

I see many repairs and mods heading your way.

I want to replace the frets on one of my guitars but have never done a re-fret before.

Gordy (another member) suggested making some calls to see if I could find an inexpensive neck to practice on. Well, this is what I came up with.

Now, I probably won't get to it 'till spring. The problem I have is that I can't leave well enough alone.

So, I at least have to see if I can get it playable. (even that will take a bit of doing)

Anyway, I'll try to post pics along the way. Here's a couple more before I get started.

No, that's not a binding around the top of the head stock:

1000489r.jpg

Typical of entire neck: (and the rest of the guitar)

1000491l.jpg

Cleanest spot on the entire guitar. I'm thinking of calling it Nick. (or maybe Chip)

1000492r.jpg

After first cleaning: (I got the really bad stuff off)

1000511d.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Not sure if I want to put new tuners on or referb the fretboard. We'll see how much spare time I get this week.

Willy

Thats quite the beater you've got there. But for $20 you cant go wrong. It looks to be in similar shape to the one I have, except my headstock is in much worse shape. It should be a good refretting practice candidate though. I refretted my Squire Strat a couple years ago. The worst parts are grinding down and smoothing the fret ends, and leveling. Very time consuming. Good luck with the project! Keep us posted.

I've often wondered what a laminated Jr. would look like with the poly removed and clear-coated natural or with a light burst, plys hanging out in plain view. If I could find one like that for $20, that's what I'd do. Maybe finish it in lacquer just to let the "tonewood" ring out.

I've often wondered what a laminated Jr. would look like with the poly removed and clear-coated natural or with a light burst, plys hanging out in plain view. If I could find one like that for $20, that's what I'd do. Maybe finish it in lacquer just to let the "tonewood" ring out. [rolleyes]

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Stein,

LOL...Don't know about a mountain of paperwork. The only thing mountainous around here are the rocks my wife thinks I have in my head!

RTH,

As usual, appreciate the input.

Brian,

Good idea, like everyone is saying, "what's to loose?"

Maybe when I get a little extra time we'll find out.

Other...

Spent the morning putting on some Grover tuners. Took them off another guitar and they have been laying around for months. Will try to get pics up either later today or sometime tomorrow.

Willy

One more thing about refretting. When you pull out the old frets, the tang will rip the fret slots...even if you are carefull, it will still tear them to a degree. That makes it harder to keep the new frets seated. You can get frets with a wider tang or just be a noob and use Super Glue like I did. [biggrin] There may even be a better way, but I dont know of it. The purists and luthiers will tell you not to use any glue. But its been two years and i have had no problems with my glued-in frets. And since I have no plans of ever refretting this guitar again, the glue isnt a problem for me.

One more thing about refretting. When you pull out the old frets, the tang will rip the fret slots...even if you are carefull, it will still tear them to a degree. That makes it harder to keep the new frets seated. You can get frets with a wider tang or just be a noob and use Super Glue like I did. [biggrin] There may even be a better way, but I dont know of it. The purists and luthiers will tell you not to use any glue. But its been two years and i have had no problems with my glued-in frets. And since I have no plans of ever refretting this guitar again, the glue isnt a problem for me.

Makes sense and thanks for the info. I'll probably do a lot of research before I actually do the frets.

Have lots of other projects that will come first. As to the formerly mentioned leveling part of it, that part is old hat to me so no problem there. As to the fret replacement itself, I'm already collecting videos. And yes, if I need super glue...so be it.

Thanks again,

Willy

Has anyone considered putting the neck in a chest freezer overnight, the wood would contract, making the slots wider, and the frets themselves would shrink slightly, should pop right out, after you had popped the frets you would have to stabilise the temp of the neck very gradually, but everything should return to their natural size.

Has anyone considered putting the neck in a chest freezer overnight, the wood would contract, making the slots wider, and the frets themselves would shrink slightly, should pop right out, after you had popped the frets you would have to stabilise the temp of the neck very gradually, but everything should return to their natural size.

That sounds scary to me. I'm not sure how one wound warm the neck gradually and condensation from the thaw would probably be very detrimental to the neck. This would take some research.

That sounds scary to me. I'm not sure how one wound warm the neck gradually and condensation from the thaw would probably be very detrimental to the neck. This would take some research.

Easy, just put it in something insulated in a cool place, a well padded gigbag would work, then after a while, open the bag, progressing to warmer places as you go. I'm a fitter/machinist by trade, and whether you apply heat or cool something to aid in both assembly and disassembly is practised often, I just transferred some of those principals, remember this is a beater, I wouldn't recommend trying it on a prized instrument, if I can grab a beater I'll try it.

Ya Know?!...

As spooky as that sounds, if it was done right it just might be a viable process. (not that I would recommend it to someone without trying it first.)

Way to think outside the box Rob.

Actually, one of the ways I've seen frets removed is by heating them with a soldering iron.

There must be some kind of tool out there that would freeze them.

Now I've got to get another beater.

This is getting to be fun.

I hope I don't have to sell my good guitars to pay for beaters!

Willy

Easy, just put it in something insulated in a cool place, a well padded gigbag would work, then after a while, open the bag, progressing to warmer places as you go. I'm a fitter/machinist by trade, and whether you apply heat or cool something to aid in both assembly and disassembly is practised often, I just transferred some of those principals, remember this is a beater, I wouldn't recommend trying it on a prized instrument, if I can grab a beater I'll try it.

It could work. You would have to figure out how to keep the freezer moisture out of it first though.

I could be wrong, but don't trees grow in areas that go well below the freezing mark for extended periods?

Or even above 0 C. during the day and below 0 C. at night for weeks or even months on end?

Yes, but trees are dried and cured and THEN turned in to guitar necks. Reintroducing the removed moisture to the wood would most likely cause it to warp or delaminate. I think that if you were to vacuum seal it somehow, it might work.

I could be wrong, but don't trees grow in areas that go well below the freezing mark for extended periods?

Or even above 0 C. during the day and below 0 C. at night for weeks or even months on end?

Yeah, but if you could measure it in extreme cold, and then in the hottest period, it would measure larger in the warmer season, given no growing had taken place, it's basic physics.

It could work. You would have to figure out how to keep the freezer moisture out of it first though.

Wrap it in a thick dry cloth or calico, not plastic, and maybe not leave it overnight, check it every hour or something.

So vacuum sealing in plastic is a no?

Vacuum might work, it would have to form the plastic so tight, there was no room for ice/condensation to develop, I've no idea if it would work really, but it could be a fun experiment.

Interesting thought I will have to keep up with all the modifcations. Everybody has some great input on the situations here really have enjoyed being a member here. Just keep us posted on everything valuable lessons to be learned thanks all

Archived