Gibson Brands Forums

Expand your musical horizons

rocketman

So the first band I played in involved traditional Greek music at the young age of 13. We played dances, festivals and weddings. What I didn't know at the time was that I was playing music that was far different from the norm. Most of the Greek dance music is written in 7/8 time and the melodies involve complex modes (Dorian with a #4 is a popular one).

Now I'm getting back into listening to some of it. I don't play the bouzouki but I think it would be fun to play. If you really want to expand your musical horizons then I strongly suggest that you listen to some of it. Here's some wild stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1oxBv4DWYA&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PLA93A40F5522BA24F

It's awesome stuff, I had a list of links to some great Greek music that had some quasi blues influences... though I seem to have misplaced it :(

Not sure why, but some Portugese and Greek music both strike me as mildly similar... Might just be their proximity to the Mediterranean (though of course Portugal doesn't even touch it!).. Though the Iberian peninsula had a lot of middle eastern influence due to the Moors (who could have taken Turkish styles with them... Greece and Turkey have had quite a bit of interaction over the years..)

Also, the video you posted... It almost reminds me of surf rock at times! [flapper]

Yes a lot of it is very similar. Good stuff! I wish I had more time to listen to various kinds of "different" music. I remember when I first heard Subdivisions by Rush and thought to myself "hey, that's in 7/8 time." I don't think Geddy (maybe it was Neil) was influenced by Greek dancing, but when I heard it I felt at home due to my own 7/8 Greek influence. Also, Alex pulls out a bouzouki now and then.

I must be the only Greek guy who absolutely hates Greek music. Bouzoukis are cool but the sound of a clarinet drives me up the wall.

I've thought about picking up a sax a few times but I always figure that time is better spent on guitar. Plus, I don't need 15 saxophones lying around the house.

I must be the only Greek guy who absolutely hates Greek music. Bouzoukis are cool but the sound of a clarinet drives me up the wall.

I've thought about picking up a sax a few times but I always figure that time is better spent on guitar. Plus, I don't need 15 saxophones lying around the house.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Priceless! Thanks for the laughs, R9!

Regards,

J/W

[thumbup]

ελληνικό πρόβλημα δημιουργός...

[confused] Ummmm... you may wanna restart yer computer... Yer seems to have a corrupted driver or something: yer fonts are all screwed up! [blink]

[but I know it says something about the problem with Greeks...!]

J/W

[thumbup]

Archived