Gibson Brands Forums

O.K. Who Adds to Mama's Thanksgiving Dinner?

Steven Tari

With being brought up in Hungarian and Irish household I make two Desserets that were passed down by my Grandmothers. I'm the oldest so I learned by helping every year we were around them. The one on the Hungarian side was a layered cranberry/whipcream and either Nuts,or graham cracker mix, I had to hit 16 to get to try my favorite one now from the Irish side. The raisins are soaked in Irish liquer for 3 months before you can make this pie. But I have kinda stretched this by starting my rasins on the New Year. I add the Irish Whiskey to cover 4 cups of white raisins. These are in a airtight container and refrigerated . After 3 months I check my raisins if the liquer is gone I stir the raisins and fill it back up with Irish liquer. I check it one more time after 3 months and do what has to be done. Now this time of year, like right now the raisins are taken out and the extra liquer is taken out added to the restof whats left in the bottles and we make our firist toast to the holidays. The raisins are mixed in with a heavy cream and couple other things. It's set back in the refrigerator until it's time to make this pie. Now this slice of pie will bring you to the automatic can't drive zone. But it's the best raisin pie you have ever tasted. So what do Y'all do to help Mama cook for Thanksgiving. OH! by the way the extra liquer is 2 bottles at the start. So usually the Men take their's in shot's and the Ladies have their's in Homemade Egg Nog. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL FROM US TO YOURS. [thumbup]

Sounds great, gotta love anything alcoholic. We made our own brandy the other day. But what the hell is egg nog. Americans talk about it but we dont have it in the UK. I feel like im missing out :(

Here's the basic recipe. We use Irish Whiskey. But everyone that I know use's their own liquers. Hope you take time and try it. I think it will make you happy.

Prep Time:

20 Min

Cook Time:

8 Min

Ready In:

6 Hrs 28 Min

serving's -12

Ingredients

• 4 cups milk
  • 5 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 12 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 Shot of Irish Whiskey per Glass or 2 1/2 cups in mixture
  • 4 cups light cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
  2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
  3. Stir in Irish Whiskey, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving, Or leave out Irish Whiskey until you add it to your glass, Then add 1 shot per glass and mix.

Sounds great, gotta love anything alcoholic. We made our own brandy the other day. But what the hell is egg nog. Americans talk about it but we dont have it in the UK. I feel like im missing out :(

Yeah but you guys have Boxing and Wasslering. Wasslizing. Something.

rct

With being brought up in Hungarian and Irish household I make two Desserets that were passed down by my Grandmothers. I'm the oldest so I learned by helping every year we were around them. The one on the Hungarian side was a layered cranberry/whipcream and either Nuts,or graham cracker mix, I had to hit 16 to get to try my favorite one now from the Irish side. The raisins are soaked in Irish liquer for 3 months before you can make this pie. But I have kinda stretched this by starting my rasins on the New Year. I add the Irish Whiskey to cover 4 cups of white raisins. These are in a airtight container and refrigerated . After 3 months I check my raisins if the liquer is gone I stir the raisins and fill it back up with Irish liquer. I check it one more time after 3 months and do what has to be done. Now this time of year, like right now the raisins are taken out and the extra liquer is taken out added to the restof whats left in the bottles and we make our firist toast to the holidays. The raisins are mixed in with a heavy cream and couple other things. It's set back in the refrigerator until it's time to make this pie. Now this slice of pie will bring you to the automatic can't drive zone. But it's the best raisin pie you have ever tasted. So what do Y'all do to help Mama cook for Thanksgiving. OH! by the way the extra liquer is 2 bottles at the start. So usually the Men take their's in shot's and the Ladies have their's in Homemade Egg Nog. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL FROM US TO YOURS. [thumbup]

Hi Steven,

My wife's side of the family is of Hungarian descent and we have a turkey stuffing called teutalek (not sure how its spelled). Is this something you folks have as well? I've come to love the stuff.

Dave

Hi Steven,

My wife's side of the family is of Hungarian descent and we have a turkey stuffing called teutalek (not sure how its spelled). Is this something you folks have as well? I've come to love the stuff.

Dave

The one we use is JOLTOTT PULYKA it's very good or we use an Oyster stuffing.

Here's the basic recipe. We use Irish Whiskey. But everyone that I know use's their own liquers. Hope you take time and try it. I think it will make you happy.

Prep Time:

20 Min

Cook Time:

8 Min

Ready In:

6 Hrs 28 Min

serving's -12

Ingredients

• 4 cups milk
  • 5 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 12 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 Shot of Irish Whiskey per Glass or 2 1/2 cups in mixture
  • 4 cups light cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
  2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
  3. Stir in Irish Whiskey, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving, Or leave out Irish Whiskey until you add it to your glass, Then add 1 shot per glass and mix.

Thanks, I'll have ago at making it when I go back home to see my parents at Christmas.

The one on the Hungarian side was a layered cranberry/whipcream and either Nuts,or graham cracker mix, I had to hit 16 to get to try my favorite one now from the Irish side. The raisins are soaked in Irish liquer for 3 months before you can make this pie.

There is no way that this is an authentic recipe because booze never lasts 3 months in a Hungarian or Irish house!

There is no way that this is an authentic recipe because booze never lasts 3 months in a Hungarian or Irish house!

Well I keep a very wide selection of wines and liquers in my house. Besides the Box wines the girls drinks.I belong to 2 wine clubs, There's a couple hundered bottles of wines from around the world of all styles, Burbens, and we spend at least 300 dollars in liquers every month. The only liquer I don't keep is Scotch. No one likes it so I don't stock it. Also plenty of fruit, Fruit drinks, and plenty of sodas. The Irish Whisky is always plentyful around here. [thumbup]

Archived