Gibson Brands Forums

aahh ! NUTZ!!

blindboygrunt

My Furch OM had a loose nut, its designed that way. I have sinced then replaced it with a sealed bone nut, but its no issue and most Furch guitars are made that way. Hence unless there is a special reason why you should have the nut glued on it should be fine ... I think.

I don't think it needs to be glued for function...just to keep it from falling off when you change strings.....(kind of like brake drums on a car..... they don't have to be attached to the hub to work, but it's nice when they don't fall off on your foot when your doing a brake job!)

cheers guys , think i'll glue it :-)

panic over though

Clean any old glue off the bottom of the nut, and clean the nut recess at the end of the fretboard to make sure it sits properly in position. As Moishe says, use just enough glue to hold it in place. You may want to change it someday.

Frank Ford on how to glue the nut:

"Sometimes I'll test fit the nut and find it fits perfectly so I'll glue it right in place without taking the strings off, running thin cyanoacrylate glue at the very end of the fingerboard. The glue wicks right into the space between the nut and fingerboard. If things go right, there's almost no cleanup. I'll just wipe off the excess with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. Naturally there's a risk of damaging finish, so this trick is for experienced hands.

A much safer method is to simply glue the nut before restringing. In either case I glue the nut as strongly as I can to the end of the fingerboard only, with no glue under or behind the nut. A sharp blow toward the peghead will easily knock the nut loose for future work."

I wouldn't use Krazy Glue. In fact, over my many years of DIY-ing, I've found that Krazy Glue is good for only one thing - gluing your fingers together.

Got that right, and it is used to close superficial wounds.

I wouldn't use Krazy Glue. In fact, over my many years of DIY-ing, I've found that Krazy Glue is good for only one thing - gluing your fingers together.

"Crazy" glue, or Superglue, works extremely well in a number of applications for guitar repair. This particular issue is one of them. Two tiny drops, spaced about an inch apart on the nut where it meets the end of the fretboard is all you need (without string pressure - just hold for a minute). As Ford says, the nut can then be easily tapped off in the future if need be. Another nut application of superglue is in building up a nut slot which has been cut too low. File bone (or tusq) shavings into a powder & place them in the problem slot. A tiny dab of superglue will solidify the powder, and then the slot can be refiled. In his guitar repair books, Dan Erlewine has written about the many uses of superglue in his work. No question though, you've got to be careful as there often are no easy do-overs with superglue.

Archived