Gibson Brands Forums

booking gigs

Homz

It seems I never have enough time to book gigs for the band. I need a booking agent or manager or something. Not that our classic rock band has a following or anything. We're just a 4 piece garage band with Led Zeppelin tatoos. You know the type. Louder then we need to be and more interested in having fun then making money. That said, we love to preform for the right crowd. Maybe we shouldn't get an agent. It may seem to much like a job at that point. I've always said if it stops being fun I aint doing it anymore. Still, like I said "no time to book gigs".

Hmm, do any of you have agents, managers, etc.? Any advice?

Remember, Agents and Managers do not work for free. If they do, they are not very good at it.

Most work on a percentage, therefore the more you make the more they make.

Check your yellow pages.

And for the love of ***** do not let someones O'l lady get involved in it.

The kiss ~O~ death right there...

Well said, Axe... Homz, is everyone in your band too busy for bookings? Or could you pass on the responsibility to someone else? Our band plays regularly but it's usually at the same venue (local). And I know what you mean about being in it more for the fun than the money.

And just for clarification... do you not have time to PLAY your shows, or just not enough time to BOOK them- that is, set them up, etc? If it's the latter, try setting up an e-mail based system so you're not tied up on the phone. If it's the former, see if you and your bandmates can set aside one day a month that you're all available for playing. Good luck with whatever it is you're having trouble with.

We all have our numbers on the business cards, we all book. It only takes a few minutes to stop in, buy a beer, and book a gig really. Unless you're real unheard of I guess.

We usually book several repeats after a gig so we stay booked for months in advance. We're booking Feb. now.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I'm kinda in the same situation you are Homz. No one else in our band tries to book gigs, and I only have so much time to try myself. What makes it even more frustrating, is sometimes I do get a good lead, and one of the other members can't do that night or some such stuff. Plus many bars are cutting back on live bands and doing DJ's and karaoke.

We used to have an agent who took a 20% cut, but to me it was worth it. All we had to do was set-up, play and take down. Now we're lucky to get 1 gig a month. If I could find an agent, I would definately use them.

Do you travel to gig or just play local? If you just play local how hard is it to get gigs booked? My band plays mostly local venues and most of the time we have the clubs calling,e-mailing,or messaging us on myspace all the time because we play the same 6 or 8 places most of the time.

If you travel I could see getting a booking agent.

Archived