Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Real Or Fake?

Govnah

Purchased an Epiphone off of craigslist and I think I may have bought a fake. Here is a pick of the s/n and the badge at the top of the neck says Gibson...post-38230-042969600 1323663682_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression the badge should say Les Paul and the s/n should have an extra digit.

Thanks

post-38230-014807300 1323663479_thumb.jpg

Looks like It was Jauary 2007 in Saein when your git was built, if it is the real deal. I've never seen a serial look like that, but with it being #004, maybe they were trying something new for that batch.

However, hadn't epi moved everything to China and Indonesia by then?

Never seen anything even a bit like that before on an Epi.

Nothing on the front of the feedstock stands out to me.

Could you provide pics of the full front, and a close up of the front and back of the body?

Never seen anything even a bit like that before on an Epi.

Nothing on the front of the feedstock stands out to me.

Could you provide pics of the full front, and a close up of the front and back of the body?

Here you go...I had new Seymour pickups and chrome guards installed...

post-38230-057178700 1323669464_thumb.jpg

post-38230-056907000 1323669334_thumb.jpg

post-38230-019583300 1323669351_thumb.jpg

The Gibson labelled truss rod cover is usually seen on 90s korean guitars, the factory code says Indonesia.

~I cant make an ID one way or the other, better quality well lit photographs would be helpful.

some of the other members around here are extremely good at ID-ing guitars, perhaps one of them can shed more light on it.

I've seen a ton of serial numbers posted by people covering just about all factories and years, but never one like that. Just because of that, I would call fake on it. But if I were you, I'd just send the pics by email to Gibson customer service and get their opinion. Maybe it was made for a particular market that required that style of serial number? Some bigger pics of the body of the guitar, front, would help also.

I don't know. Epiphone is so inconsistent about everything that I wouldn't call it a fake just becasue it's something we've never seen before...

True .... perhaps "highly suspect" is a better term. Barcham's advice to contact Gibson customer service is a very good idea. Beings that no-one here has seen such a sn (and there are some mighty knowledgeable folks here, myself NOT included ;) ), I'd call it a f....errrr.... highly suspect. Verify with Gibson/Epiphone.

True .... perhaps "highly suspect" is a better term. Barcham's advice to contact Gibson customer service is a very good idea. Beings that no-one here has seen such a sn (and there are some mighty knowledgeable folks here, myself NOT included ;) ), I'd call it a f....errrr.... highly suspect. Verify with Gibson/Epiphone.

Agree.

I don't know. Epiphone is so inconsistent about everything that I wouldn't call it a fake just becasue it's something we've never seen before...

I agree. Although the pics are small there are none of the other telltale signs of a fake such as misaligned tuners, pots not being aligned parallel with the neck or mishapen horn. Epiphone has been the most inconsistent over the years with their logos and lettering. They've sub-contracted out to many guitar factories in many countries.

PS. Govnah - I think you need cream pickup rings. After that the guitar will look killer, IMO.

Alan

Thanks for the email. I have contacted Epiphone with the pictures and serial number, and is not a genuine Epiphone model. The serial number also does not show in our database.

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

Now the fun begins trying to get my money refunded. I know the guy where he works and lives, which is local to me. I realize this may be a long shot as he is not returning my emails.

Thanks for the email. I have contacted Epiphone with the pictures and serial number, and is not a genuine Epiphone model. The serial number also does not show in our database.

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

Now the fun begins trying to get my money funded. I know the guy where he works and lives local to me, but I realize this may be a long shot as he is not returning my emails.

Well it sounds like he knew exactly what he was selling you. Send him an email telling him that if he doesn't refund your money, you will file a complaint with the police about him selling counterfeit guitars. The actually do take such things seriously these days and you have the proof from Gibson that it is fake.

Archived