Gibson Brands Forums

Shredding

majorityof1

All to often I will hear people bash shredding, usually for stupid reasons.

1) It has no feeling.

Yes it does. If you were trying to compose a song for guitar (or anything for that matter) that was trying to impart a sense of urgency or hurry, how else would you do it but with a flurry of notes? Look at songs "Flight of the Bumblebee" lots of notes, lots of feeling.

2) I don't like Metal.

I shouldn't have to explain this. Metal is not shred.

Metal is a type of music that if it were classified like a movie it would be in horror. The themes of metal include (but not limited to) things like: losing ones mind, dieing, killing, torture, violence, betrayal and really anything people in general fear.

Shred would be more of a documentary "this is the guitar, and this is what it can do"

Conclusion:

I like shred, I admire the people that play it, and I wish I could play like them (I will someday).

P.S. people that play chords all day will play more notes than anyone.

1. Shred has no feeling

If shredding really was composed as a flurry of notes meant to impose a sence of urgency, then it would have feeling, but it isn't it's just big men with long hair playing up and down a scale really fast.

Feeling: Clapton, BB King, Jimmy Page, Slash, Duane Allman, Jeff Beck....ring any bells?

2. I like metal

Some metal, Metallica, Janes Addiction, Van Halen (only shredder I like/is VH metal?) Black Sabbath, Motley Crue

I just don't admire guitar that takes only technical skill, and frankly doesn't sound very good

I'm not sure if any serious players bash shredding itself. But sometimes bash players who only rely on fast scales and tricks, with not much relation to actual music. For me, I know that by the late 80's, I was a little burned out by all the doodly doodly doodly doodly waaaaang stuff, if you know what I mean. It can get monotonus, especially if it's without any real context other than "look how fast I can play sweep arpegios and how I can make every other note a pinch harmonic and I can make it sound like a horse with my whammy bar". There's a fine line between shredding and wanking. (ever try to explain these terms to a non guitarists?)eusa_doh.gif

I enjoy great players who can shred when it's appropriate. I just get bored when it's done to death for no musical reason other than just for the sake of shredding.

1. Shred has no feeling

If shredding really was composed as a flurry of notes meant to impose a sence of urgency' date=' then it would have feeling, but it isn't it's just big men with long hair playing up and down a scale really fast.

Feeling: Clapton, BB King, Jimmy Page, Slash, Duane Allman, Jeff Beck....ring any bells?

2. I like metal

Some metal, Metallica, Janes Addiction, Van Halen (only shredder I like/is VH metal?) Black Sabbath, Motley Crue

I just don't admire guitar that takes only technical skill, and frankly doesn't sound very good

[/quote']

Your missing the point.

Objective: Impart a sense urgency and hurry unto the listener through song.

Ways to accomplish this: Using Lots of note

I'm not sure if any serious players bash shredding itself. But sometimes bash players who only rely on fast scales and tricks' date=' with not much relation to actual music. For me, I know that by the late 80's, I was a little burned out by all the [i']doodly doodly doodly doodly waaaaang [/i]stuff, if you know what I mean. It can get monotonus, especially if it's without any real context other than "look how fast I can play sweep arpegios and how I can make every other note a pinch harmonic and I can make it sound like a horse with my whammy bar". There's a fine line between shredding and wanking. (ever try to explain these terms to a non guitarists?)eusa_doh.gif

I enjoy great players who can shred when it's appropriate. I just get bored when it's done to death for no musical reason other than just for the sake of shredding.

I bet you cant guess what a sweep arpeggio is...a CHORD!!! lol

any time you play a chord your doing an sweep arpeggio with overlapping notes

And they are really fast

i feel like i have a unique perspective on this...............

when i am playing a reording session, most people think shredding is more impressive, but they enjoy the melodies of "blues" playing

personally it depends on my mood, but when someone else is paying me to do a good job on their recording, they prefer the blues to the shred

about 3/4 of the time

i wonder what thundergod has to say, he has alot of studio time too i think

Even if you hate it you have to respect their skill. They spent many hours with the guitar the same as the guys who play rock and blues.

Thank you, i don't like GnR or Clapton or any of those classy dudes but I bow before there awesome skill and musicianship.

The whole 80's hair metal shred thing wasn't very musical .That said ,to say Stevie Ray plays with more FEELING than say Joe Satriani is ridiculous.The beauty of having technique is to be able to express your self when you play.I myself don't get to excited with sweep picked dorian modes but hearing many of our blues faves wank away on the same pentatonic scales over and over can get pretty boring too.I like players like Scott Henderson who can play as fast as anybody but suprise you with unexpected phasing,humor ,and the most important thing have there own style.Eddie VanHalen has his own style.Carlos Santana has his own style.Pat Methany,Albert King,BB,Albert Collins,and Joe Satriani have there own style and had something new to say.When Stevie Ray came out the first thing I thought was ,Albert King should sue this guy .I never have heard a original lick come out of SRV,Joe Bonamosa,Walter Trout,Coco Montoya, to name a few.I feel the same way about them as I do about George Lynch,Tony Macalpine,Yngvie,Zack Wylde or Slash.I've heard it all before.I love Albert Lee ,the Albert Lee clones I don't want to listen to.Django was a genius,43 gypsy guys who can play alot like him,Forget it.But that's just me.....

That said I love Stevies tone but all the wankers who try to copy it ,find your own sound please.

Maj of one' date=' It's a joke. I've been married 33 years to the same woman(Who says the worst evening of her life was going to a Allan Hollsworth concert with me).I loved it.[/quote']

I hear ya, Holdsworth is awesome, takes alot of balls to play a Steinberger

Nothing against shredding over here. I love to listen to shredders, country chickin-pickin, blues, jazz.......anything as long as it sounds good to my ears. Some of that stuff does become repetitive though.

Is Paul Gilbert considered a shredder? He's one of my favorites.

I appreciate contained shredding... that is, shredding used in small amounts to achieve a purpose or to add to the effectiveness of a solo. What I don't like is endless shredding that sounds the same: ie. Dragonforce. Nothing against the band, I'm just not a fan of their musical style. Someone like Slash for example, can shred like crazy, but does so in short spurts to add to his music rather than show off. (take the solo from "Sweet Child O Mine" for example: the solo is really quite easy until the very end where he throws in some shredding, which in my opinion MAKES the solo.) I appreciate the talent of those who shred, but I'll stick to classic rock and blues, thanks.

i feel like i have a unique perspective on this...............

when i am playing a reording session' date=' most people think shredding is more impressive, but they enjoy the melodies of "blues" playing

personally it depends on my mood, but when someone else is paying me to do a good job on their recording, they prefer the blues to the shred

about 3/4 of the time

i wonder what thundergod has to say, he has alot of studio time too i think[/quote']

As often I agree with you Jesse...

Here's what I got to ad: most unexperienced bands/artists/players will ask me to shred all over their songs... or will want to do it themselves... Some will want a love song to have a really fast solo, so that "people will know they play good"... Most of the times I will show them examples of great songs and how shredding can work in them, and how there are great songs that are great "despite" no shredding being done, specially if the genre they are recording doesnt call for it.

Bands/artists/players with more experience try to avoid shredding unless it serves a well defined purpose in the song, and sometimes in the album as a whole.

I find it funny... when I am actually playing on a recording for a band/artist I usually do some licks to warm up... those include shredding... and the most unexperienced will often watch in awe and ask "will you do that in the song? wow, can you do that in the song... and in the next one too!?". While the more experienced will ask "you are NOT doing that for our song are you?"... the real PROs will often STATE "you are NOT doing that for this song."

I think it is a matter of perspective, as stated avobe, shredding is ok if it serves a purpose... shredding just for the sake of shredding is just a waste of time, and when you are in a studio, a waste of money... most people that insist on recording some faster than light licks come back weeks later asking to take that away, it kills some songs.

at least we all agree on one thing.....................

THE JONAS BROTHERS ARE THE BIGGEST FAGS EVER

I think I read somewhere that they used to be shredders... but grew out of it to become fags

man... they are faggier than the hanson sisters...

Archived