Gibson Brands Forums

Merry ES 355 Chrstmas to me

ToneMonster

I liked my last ES 355 so much I decided to get another one! Decided to take advantage of the free case offer. The one I currently have is about as perfect as a guitar can be but considering how good it is I have decided to hot rod the new one to see what kind of tone monster I can create. I already ordered all the mods so as the get installed I will post some pictures and some sound clips for evaluation. The mods that will be done are Pick-up swap- Gibson Vintage 57 neck coil tapped, Seymour Duncan 59 PAF bridge coil tapped. Vintage Holy Grail wiring harness with CTS 550k Audio taper super pots and genuine (not re-issue) NOS Sprague Black Beauty PIO caps .022/400v's bridge-.015/400v's neck. Top Hat gold reflector knobs. Genuine Pre Ban Elephant Tusk Ivory nut. Babicz Full Contact Hardware Tune o Matic Aluminum Bridge These are INCREDIBLE!!! Then as a finishing touch I will have the whole thing PLEK'd and set up at Mike Lull Guitars in Seattle. If any of your read my opinions on the first one I got you know how strongly I feel that these are near perfect as is, so I can only imagine how nice this one will be when done.

I know it may seem a bit excessive but even with all of these caviar budget add ons the finished product is only going to be about $1600, still less than half of what a Gibson Custom shop counterpart would cost me. With all the upscale add ons this one will be a much nicer rig with an Ebony Fretboard to boot. I wouldn't normally spend this kind of money upgrading a guitar of this price point, however this is such a sweet guitar to start with it is worthy of the upgrades.

I can hardly wait process should take about 3 weeks start to finish. I will most certainly share pic's sound clips. In the mean time here are a couple of pic's of the 355 I will do the mods on.

post-38247-021133500 1324355137_thumb.jpg

post-38247-021097000 1324355145_thumb.jpg

post-38247-081130800 1324355151_thumb.jpg

post-38247-019538900 1324355159_thumb.jpg

The mods that will be done are Pick-up swap- Gibson Vintage 57 neck coil tapped, Seymour Duncan 59 PAF bridge coil tapped. Vintage Holy Grail wiring harness with CTS 550k Audio taper super pots and genuine (not re-issue) NOS Sprague Black Beauty PIO caps .022/400v's bridge-.015/400v's neck. Top Hat gold reflector knobs. Genuine Pre Ban Elephant Tusk Ivory nut. Babicz Full Contact Hardware Tune o Matic Aluminum Bridge These are INCREDIBLE!!! Then as a finishing touch I will have the whole thing PLEK'd and set up

WOW! Sounds like a Merrrrry Christmas. (and a happy new year)

Congrats on the guitar.

can't wait to see how it turns out.

Me too!

Willy

Can't wait for the pictures and sound clips. Depending on your evaluation of the results I might do a few of those mods on mine over time. How much does the Plek cost?

At Mike Lull in Seattle he charges $235. Including consultation, a complete set up (intonation, neck adjust, nut inspection/adjustment) with new strings and hand finishing.

Archived