Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-200

livemusic

I stopped in a local music store, they have several Epiphones, including a few EJ-200's. I think they are $475. One used, on consignment is mint for $375. Hmmmm... I was surprised... I have never played a Gibson jumbo but I was surprised how much I liked the Epi. How are these models thought of among Gibson people? Unwanted stepchild or what? It played good strummed and also, the neck was easy to play and it played well with fingerstyle. Very well-made, attractive. I assume it is maple b/s. I don't know about these models, I assume it is laminate. What do you know?

To me they're not unwanted step-kids. Personally, I think Epiphones are horribly under-rated---possibly because Epiphone is in the Gibson family. On the internet, you hear a lot about Eastman, Blue Ridge, and some others as being awesome instruments, and some of them might be.. But, Epiphones are typically denegrated, or considered "not too bad" at best. I really believe the anti-Gibson bias over-rules commonsense. I like Epiphones. I play them at GC quite-a-bit. I'm often surprised at the volumn of a $119 acoustic. Their Masterbilt line is excellent. With Epi, like any other guitar, you'll find so-so ones, good ones, and real killers....If you find an Epi or any guitar that you want and can afford, get it and enjoy it...Even if its a Taylor. :rolleyes:

And by the way, a friend has an Epi cutaway dread, and it is killer! It's his only guitar and I have way too many and that Epi is a very good guitar! And plugged in, I don't know if I have ever heard better one. Wow, it was killer. And that was going through a Fender Twin Reverb.

Very hit and miss. Ive played EJ-200's that I almost brought home as they were so impressive, and others that I literally couldnt get a tone out of them thats how dead sounding they were.

My general perspective on Epis is that there are much better guitars out there for the money.

If I was on a budget Id opt first for Cort, Seagull and with a bit more cash Eastman which is the overall best value for money guitar in the world IMO.

I really like mine. It was given to me by my Dad, and it's one of my favourite guitars. I have the latest version, which has a solid top and lam back'n'sides.

It's super-stable and has no tuning issues at all. The neck is superb and it has a skinner action (buzz free however hard I hit it) than any of my other acoustics.

I can't play it at great length as I have a shoulder problem which is aggravated by playing a Super Jumbo, but I often use it out with my band for the tunes I don't play electric on. It sounds brilliant live.

When I got it, I had a Gibson SJ200 as well. They compared extremely favourably, the Epi having a better bottom end and the Gibson having a sweeter top end, but the Gibson had been played in for 8yrs and the Epi was box-fresh, so we'll see what happens in a few years' time.

There is no Gibson (Epiphone) shop in my country. There was two years ago, but this dealer closed the business with Gibson. I have played 1-2 times the EJ 200 of Epiphone. I have a Gibson SJ 200 Custom Elite at home. Well I can say the The playability of the EJ 200 I liked much. Of course sounded laminate to me. Me, personaly I'd buy an EJ 200 Epiphone for the camping where I can not bring my M-R GIBS.

I bought an Epiphone EJ-200 Artist which was on sale at Musician's Friend over the holidays. This is an all-laminated, low bling version of the EJ-200. $125 (ok about $136 with CA state tax) and free shipping. I don't know how they do it. It has a great big loud sound. The neck is comfortable, fretwork nicely executed and the finish is fine. Setup was great. I'll probably replace the plastic saddle with tusq, as I did on my EL-00 with very good result. At the price I paid this is excellent guitar bang-for-buck. Makes a great rhythm guitar, picnic guitar, loaner, etc.

If you can find a good Epiphone than I would recommend them. I went to GC once to check out various Epis and found some that were horrible - i.e. badly setup, warped necks, bad finishes, BUT others that were really pretty nice and sounded great for the price they are. I played one EJ-200, but honestly a 17" guitar is too big for me. I found it uncomfortable to play.

17" is a bit too big for me too. However all the epi's seem to come with strap buttons installed near the heel, which helps for me. If I use a strap and tilt the neck upward I can play one of these. Maybe not for hours and hours but have fun with it for a while.

I bought an Epiphone EJ-200 Artist which was on sale at Musician's Friend over the holidays. This is an all-laminated, low bling version of the EJ-200. $125 (ok about $136 with CA state tax) and free shipping. I don't know how they do it. It has a great big loud sound. The neck is comfortable, fretwork nicely executed and the finish is fine. Setup was great. I'll probably replace the plastic saddle with tusq, as I did on my EL-00 with very good result. At the price I paid this is excellent guitar bang-for-buck. Makes a great rhythm guitar, picnic guitar, loaner, etc.

I don't own one, but I've played the EJ-200 Artist a couple of times in stores. Each time was very pleasantly surprised. Same with the Hummingbird Artist. It's astonishing you get instruments of this quality for about $200, or $150 when they're on sale.

Red 333

Jerry, don't be so sure that Artist of yours is all-lam, a friend of mine brought one back from the states which most definitely has a solid top-we went over it inside and out with mirrors and torches, and the grain is a perfect match throughout. I believe the Epi site lists it as a solid top as of the last few months too, but I could be wrong.

I really like mine. It sounds huge and fun, looks lovely and is a great clear-conscience guitar...a ding? Who cares!

Archived